fellowship after residency on H1

Umair Gauhar

Registered Users (C)
Ok so it is difficult to get a waiver after a fellowship. How easy/difficult it is to find a fellowship after doing a residency on H1 keeping in view that most H1 sponsoring programs donot have any fellowship programs of their own and nor do they have a good repute.

No Title

Is your question: Does fellowship programs sponsor for H1 or not??? Not sure, but usually there are good number of them who do. But dont you think you will be spending most of your H1 time, in education?, unless you have other means for the gc.

what I meant was

If a person does his residency on H1. How can he go for a fellowship after completing his residency and then maybe during his fellowship apply for a GC too. I have been hearing that it is quite difficult to go for a fellowship if you have done residency on H1. Is that true?

No Title

No. You have to find fellowship prog. that sponsors for the H1. As for doing GC during fellowship - Possibly the NIW pathway....but I am not sure.

No Title

There are plenty of fellowship programs that offer H1b visas. However, if you want to stay in this country, doing a 3 year fellowship after a 3 year residency on H1b will not help you. The 6 year limit will run out-you will have to go out for a year before applying for H1b visa again. Other options are to apply for a O-1 visa if you qualify, or to get the fellowship from a program that operates in an underserved area/ VA Hospital and apply for a NIW. You will get the EAD and possibly a conditional greencard before you finish the fellowship-and then if you work another 2 years in an MUA or HPSA, you will get your GC! If you are one of the lucky few that got a H-1b from an inner city/ VA program, you will have done 3 years of work that will be counted towards NIW and if you get a fellowship in a similar program, you can have a GC before you finish your fellowship! Hope this helps.