Fee Increases Will Impact Asylees

My Opinion

If the fee increase takes effect we will be paying $15 more for the RTD and $20 more for EAD renewal and I485 fee.

$20 is not alot of money, but in principle it\'s wrong. Look at the quality of services we are receiving from the INS:

(1)EAD processing times are taking longer than 90 days.
(2)Some of us who filed I485 at district offices never received receipts for our applications. And those who received the receipt got grocery store look alike receipts.
(3)NSC automated case tracking system is giving false processing times and even IIOs are telling to ignore them.
(4) INS never make the cut-off dates available to us. We have to find this out through lawyers.
(5) NSC help line takes hours to answer.
(6) Visits to INS district offices now require a full day trip for most of us. About 3 hours to get inside the building and another 3 hours to be called for turn to ask the questions.

If there is going to be fee increase I also expect improvements in these services.
 Quite frankly I think if the INS was not a government agency the Better Business Bureau or the Federal Trade Commission would have shut them down long time ago for providing poor customer service.

No Title

The INS woes cited by you is just part of the picture. This agency is probably beyond human repair.

Most people understand that price increases are a fact of life. But the INS keeps making promise of being more efficient and almost never delivers.

What upets me the most is that when you called Service Centers to get info. Their lines are almost certainly busy. On the outside chance they are not, then you will have to wait forever to get to live person. The person, in all likelihood, is downright rude or is incapable of giving valid information, or both.

I call the IRS from time to time. And they are much much better.

The last time I checked, the INS has a budget bigger than the FBI.

Gee.

More Evidence of INS capability

I extracted the following from an immigration newsletter.

Wrong Number: Texas Service Center Premium Processing Unit (8/20/01)

The correct phone number for the INS Texas Service Center\'s Premium Processing Unit is (214) 275-4415. Receipts from the Center have provided an incorrect number belonging to a private residence, according to the American Immigration Lawyers Association.