fee for I-864?

waitforsolong

Registered Users (C)
Hi, friends and experts,

I am applying GC for my parents.

According to USCIS web site, the filing fee for I-864 (Affidavit of Support Under Section 213A of the Act) is:

Filing Fee :
Although USCIS does not charge a fee for this form, the Department of State does charge a fee of $70 when the Affidavit of Support is reviewed domestically. This does not apply when the Affidavit of Support is filed abroad.

So, I wrote a check of 70$ payable to "U.S. Department of Homeland Security" when I submit the I-864.

Today I received letter from USCIS saying:
Recently, you submitted an application for immigration benefits. That form was submitted with an extra remittance that is not required to process your application, or the incorrect fee was submitted. Your check is being returned to you with this notice. No additional action by you is required at this time. Please comply with other reject notice you may receive.

So, what's wrong did I do? what should I do next?

Many thanks!!

It is other way around, Consular processing requires $70.00 I-864 processing fee

Wow, I hope you are correct! Just so I can be sure, could you please tell me how you found this out? Because I saw two places (both www.USCIS.gov and travel.state.gov) said 70$ is for domestically.

Here is the line I copied/pasted from
http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1263.html#perm

* Affidavit of Support Review (only when AOS is reviewed domestically), Form I-864 : $70.00

Thank you so much!!

wow, that is weird wording on that state dept website. I think what they mean with "AOS reviewed domestically" is "in your home country" which means consular processing. It seems to me its a typo as there is no fee for 864 when filing AOS (in the US), but there is for CP (in applicant's home country, but which is normally not referred to as AOS).

If you file from within the US, no fee for I864, period.

Thanks a lot for the reply.

I really could not figure out that by myself. By the way, how to inform USCIS the error on their web site?

I tried to call their 1-800 number, but I could not reach through any real person by selecting key path.

Thanks,