Father buying house in US, Add my name to title?

O753I951

Registered Users (C)
State= Virginia

My father bought a fixer upper house here where I live about 6 months ago. I did not add my name to the title because I am going though child custody battle and I have tremendous amount of debt from being unemployed for a year and half and the child custody court lawyers. I have about $20k worth of credit card debt. I also would like to be able to get a first time home buyers loan when I buy a house. I am responsible for the house, which will be rented, but I am faced with lots of challenges with getting things for the house because my name is not on the title.

What would be the pros and cons of adding my name on the title? I am paying back my credit card bills, but if something should happen one day, I worry that they might come after the "assets" of the house. I have EXCELLENT credit though.

I am now trying to get gas to be turned on in the house since winter is coming soon, and they say I can only get gas turned on if I am a renter or the owner. I am neither, and we want to rent the house soon, like this month or next month. If I write up something that I am a renter, then it will say that I live there, which I do not and I do not pay rent there.

Would a power of attorney be a better thing to do? Would that work to allow me to be able to "manage" the affairs of the house?

State= Virginia

My father bought a fixer upper house here where I live about 6 months ago. I did not add my name to the title because I am going though child custody battle and I have tremendous amount of debt from being unemployed for a year and half and the child custody court lawyers. I have about $20k worth of credit card debt. I also would like to be able to get a first time home buyers loan when I buy a house. I am responsible for the house, which will be rented, but I am faced with lots of challenges with getting things for the house because my name is not on the title.

What would be the pros and cons of adding my name on the title? I am paying back my credit card bills, but if something should happen one day, I worry that they might come after the "assets" of the house. I have EXCELLENT credit though.

I am now trying to get gas to be turned on in the house since winter is coming soon, and they say I can only get gas turned on if I am a renter or the owner. I am neither, and we want to rent the house soon, like this month or next month. If I write up something that I am a renter, then it will say that I live there, which I do not and I do not pay rent there.

Would a power of attorney be a better thing to do? Would that work to allow me to be able to "manage" the affairs of the house?

Regarding about turning the gas, you can easily turn on by calling to coned if you have social number, state ID and lease papers where you sign for rent, in case they asked you to fax them about lease. in most cases, they will not ask lease paperwork though. Please tell them you are an new renter who try to turn on the gas.

If you want your name in the title of the house while you are having challenges with debts, please don't do it. Let your father bought the house first, when he got the house, he can ask lawyer to add your name in deeds. That will be a lots easier for you. Otherwise, just wait for some more years after he bought the house, then ask him to refinance along with your name when the rate is good for refinancing. I believe that is the best way for you to get house under your name without causing any troubles.

Last edited by a moderator: