father and stepmother divorced after I-130 - any chances to get her green card?

zinatin

Hi!
I petitioned for my father and my stepmother to come to USA, and just got notice that my I-130 petitions got approved. But then I received a call from my father saying that he divorced my stepmother, they just finalized the divorce. They were married for over 20 years, ever since I was a child.
Is there still any chance she could get green card? She is the nicest lady, I really want her to be here.

Yes she can still get a green card if you have an ongoing relationship with her after the divorce (and evidence of the ongoing relationship).

What might be considered as evidence? We live in different countries, and we mostly email or skype each other. We do have a more close relationship with my stepbrother (her son) since he lives in USA and we visit each other a few times a year. Any other ideas?

Any evidence that is considered normal for a parent-child relationship. Is your step-brother a US citizen?

What might be considered as evidence? We live in different countries, and we mostly email or skype each other. We do have a more close relationship with my stepbrother (her son) since he lives in USA and we visit each other a few times a year. Any other ideas?

If he is 21 or older and is a US citizen, her son can sponsor her.

No, he is not, he is on a student visa here. Although he is almost 21. That would be so much easier if he was a citizen.
Where I can get any idea what would be considered normal evidence for adult child-parent relationship? We are in different countries, and haven't seen each other in person for over ten years. Her visa to Canada was denied once, so she was afraid to even try to apply for US visa to visit us. It is not like if we lived together or paid each other's bills, that would be easy to proof.
Turns out, they divorced on the day the petition was approved, just three weeks ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do not worry too much about proof at this stage. Start by filing an I-130 for her. The only condition for that is her marriage to your father must have occured before you turned 18.

Where I can get any idea what would be considered normal evidence for adult child-parent relationship?

Triple citizen, we already have i-130 approved for her. They divorced on the day it was approved. They married way before I turned 18.

I apologise, I missed that part. Well in that case, my advice would be to proceed with her immigrant visa as planned. Document all correspondence with her, whether email/irc-chat etc. When she gets to her local US consulate, she should also produce her side of such proof.

Triple citizen, we already have i-130 approved for her. They divorced on the day it was approved. They married way before I turned 18.