• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Family name correction

Nilefish

hello every one and thanks for this great forum
I was selected for the dv 2017 but I made a mistake in entering my data when applied . Im a Sudanese and we have no Surname or middile names in our passports every body have 4 names after each others in one line
So I entered the first three names as first/ middle and family name but I missed my 4th name.
Is there anywhere I can add my last name ? Or should I write me name as written in the passport?

Please advice

Thanks in advance

I am Egyptian and I was selected for the dv 2017. my passport has four names after each other as Sudanese,
I made a similar mistake when I applied for E-DV application.
I entered in given name only 2 names from 4 and entered the fourth name as last name
so I didn’t enter the third name of my passport names.

I submitted the DS-260 and entered my 4 names as following:
The first 3 names as given name and the fourth as last name

Is that could be a problem?

Hi all :
I face the same problem , from Egypt I applyed the E-DV Fisrt name - 2nd name - 3rd name , and the same in DS-260 , as my name in the passport till the forth name , hope any one can help us here .
Thanks for Advance

Not sure why no replies in this thread so far to the issue. This seems to be a common issue in Egypt because of the different naming conventions, from some other past posts it seems you should be able to sort it out at the interview. It seems most use the fourth name as last name.

Remember that what you fill in as last name becomes your official last name in America.

fill DS-260 as your passport.
And regarding the enterded E-DV name, you can add it in the other names of ds-260 form.

So can i put my 3rd name and fourth name together in may family last name thanks a lot for all
Hi Michael , I'll reopen ds-260 form for my and my family to add the long form names in field (other names) , we hope to see an interviews experiences from US embassy in Cairo , my best wishes

So can i put my 3rd name and fourth name together in may family last name thanks a lot for all

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/DS-260 Exemplar.pdf

See Page 5, Personal Information 1, under 'Help: Surnames, Help: Given Names and Help: Other Names Used' Sections. These are quite clear on the matter of multiple Surnames, Given Names and/or Other Names, I believe.
PS: in Egypt you do have a family name but it may not be commonly used. I believe you commonly use First name, Father's name, grandfather's name. When completing your DS-260, you rather may want to use your family name again as surname, if this is line with your passport or other official documents. Whatever you put as Surname(s) will become your official Family Name in the US. What you put as first Given Name will be your official First Name in the US. Your second Given Name (if any) will become your Middle Initial. Hence the US will automatically 'rename' you in terms of your official names anyway during this process. You will have an opportunity to change your official name in the US as part of later Citizenship process.

Last edited:
so is it better to send this notice (error) to kccdv that i will correct my name at ds260 so they can process and make sure that i did not applied for many time ? so when my interview come they send letter for consulate so will not be problem for AP FOLLOW as i may have my interview at late july august next year so it will be risky if they will do further assessment ... need your gorgeous advices

so is it better to send this notice (error) to kccdv that i will correct my name at ds260 so they can process and make sure that i did not applied for many time ? so when my interview come they send letter for consulate so will not be problem for AP FOLLOW as i may have my interview at late july august next year so it will be risky if they will do further assessment ... need your gorgeous advices
You are welcome. I would simply make sure that the information provided in your DS-260 is fully consistent with DS-260 instructions provided, as far as your Surname(s), Given Name(s) and (if applicable) Other Name(s) are concerned. Also, make sure that the information is being consistent with the information in your passport (if you have one), as also specified in above-mentioned instructions. If you do not have a passport already, I would apply for one asap. Good luck!

I have passport but my name in passport michael ramses zaky ayob but when i applied to edv applied by zaky as surname not mentioned ayob so in my 260 ds i will write surname ayob and middle nme ramses zaky but as i will make change from my 1st letter is it better to inform kcc for processing this change early not after my interview?

I have passport but my name in passport michael ramses zaky ayob but when i applied to edv applied by zaky as surname not mentioned ayob so in my 260 ds i will write surname ayob and middle nme ramses zaky but as i will make change from my 1st letter is it better to inform kcc for processing this change early not after my interview?
Sorry to say, yet DV-2017 instructions filling out eDV were pretty clear on this point:

"You must provide the following information to complete your entry:
1. Name – last/family name, first name, middle name – exactly as on your passport." (underline added).

Given that you had a passport with your name "michael ramses zaky ayob", this therefore is the information you should have submitted at the time. Nevertheless, I would now make 100% sure that your DS-260 is fully correct, in line with your passport (and with respective DS-260 instructions). Presumably nobody will be able to tell you for sure how the US Consulate in Cairo will deal with the discrepancy, however in my book this is preferable to continuing the incomplete name situation going forward - inter alia will the validity of your security clearance depend on your names to be accurate and complete. Good luck!

PS Your Name in the US (for all official business) will be Michael (First Name) R. (Middle Initial) with Zaky Ayob being your Family Name (presumably un-hyphened). You will probably only know for sure when you do receive the physical Green Card.

Last edited:

KCC won't do anything beyond adding your email to your file. Just ask them to unlock the DS260, if that's what you want, because that's where the change (or adding under 'other names') is made. They don't need to know why you want it unlocked, makes no difference to what they will do. By the way, KCC is admin only. Once your file is sent to the embassy for interview they will have nothing more to do with your case.

Sorry to say, yet DV-2017 instructions filling out eDV were pretty clear on this point:

"You must provide the following information to complete your entry:
1. Name – last/family name, first name, middle name – exactly as on your passport." (underline added).

Given that you had a passport with your name "michael ramses zaky ayob", this therefore is the information you should have submitted at the time. Nevertheless, I would now make 100% sure that your DS-260 is fully correct, in line with your passport (and with respective DS-260 instructions). Presumably nobody will be able to tell you for sure how the US Consulate in Cairo will deal with the discrepancy, however in my book this is preferable to continuing the incomplete name situation going forward - inter alia will the validity of your security clearance depend on your names to be accurate and complete. Good luck!

PS Your Name in the US (for all official business) will be Michael (First Name) R. (Middle Initial) with Zaky Ayob being your Family Name (presumably un-hyphened). You will probably only know for sure when you do receive the physical Green Card.
pls I just want to learn from this, if the middle name is abreviated with only first letter e.g. O, in the academic document, will that affect anything?thanks