Family based visa - question on current processing time on CA or TX

saim1994

Registered Users (C)
I have filed a family based immigration visa for my brother in 2013 May (along with his wife). Because I live in CA, I believe it will be handled in CA service center. I found that the current queue in CA service center is 2008.

My brother's wife (let's say her name is Y) parents became US citizen recently. They live in Texas. Will it be faster if they (parents) file now family based US immigration application for their daughter (along with my brother)? I found the Texas service center is estimated time for such immigration processing is current as of 2020 March (not sure if that's a wrong info but I double checked here: https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/).

I am talking about I-130.

Can someone help with the above query? Thanks in advance.

The processing time of the I-130 doesn't matter. They I-130 being approved doesn't by itself allow them to immigrate -- they still need to wait years until a visa number becomes available for their category and priority date (the priority date is the date the I-130 is filed) on the visa bulletin.

Sibling of US citizen is in the F4 category. The current (Sep 2020) visa bulletin shows that a visa number is available for F4 priority dates in 2006 (2005 for people born in India, 1998 for people born in Mexico, 2002 for people born in Philippines). So there will still be many years until that date reaches 2013, the priority date of the petition you filed.

Married child of US citizen is in the F3 category. The current visa bulletin shows that a visa number is available for F3 priority dates in 2008 (1996 for people born in Mexico, 2002 for people born in Philippines). So there will still be many years until that date reaches 2013, the priority date of the petition you filed. If they file a petition now, the priority date will be now (in 2020).

As you can see, an F3 petition with priority date of now will be much slower than the F4 petition with priority date in 2013 no matter which country they were born in. But they can still file a petition just in case -- it doesn't hurt to be beneficiary of multiple petitions.