Family based GC for sister

howdy_howdy

Volunteer Moderator
Thanks in advance for your help.

I am a USA and I would like to apply for I130 for my sister; she's married and has two kids. One is 17 and the other is 11. Country of birth is India for all except the 11 year old since he was born in UAE.

If I have to apply I130 for my sister, I need to mention her dependents at this time. But, the I130 is only for my sister right? Only at the time of applying for visa, she needs to include all her family members for the visa right?

Also, if someone can point to the documents required to sponsor sister for a GC, I will be really grateful.

Thanks again
howdy_howdy
//

Yes, you will give her details on the I-130 filed for her only.
You will need your copy of your Birth Certificate, copy of her Birth Certificate, and proof of your US Citizenship (Copy of US Passport or Nat'z Certificate) to send with the I-130 and a check/money order for the fee.

Thanks. But, I don't have a BC nor does my sister. I have only the affidavits from people who knew me from childhood to prove my DOB.

Should she get one like that too?

Thanks again
howdy_howdy
//

Yes, you will give her details on the I-130 filed for her only.
You will need your copy of your Birth Certificate, copy of her Birth Certificate, and proof of your US Citizenship (Copy of US Passport or Nat'z Certificate) to send with the I-130 and a check/money order for the fee.

I know that in India there is a way to obtain a No Entry, No Registeration birth record. I am not from there but read it through the forums.

Not sure if this would work but you could try extracting DNA from both you and your sister and perhaps your parents and try to present that as evidence. I know it's not what they traditionally want but it might help. Also, if you take that to Indian govt authorities they may consider issuing a retroactive birth certificate.

I know that in India there is a way to obtain a No Entry, No Registeration birth record. I am not from there but read it through the forums.

It is possible to get a Non-Availability certificate; however, it still would be necessary to provide some other proof of the sibling relationship.

Not sure if this would work but you could try extracting DNA from both you and your sister and perhaps your parents and try to present that as evidence.

A DNA test would definitely be strong evidence; USCIS often recommends it when they find the other evidence to be insufficient. Of course, you wouldn't present the DNA itself to USCIS, you would present the test results to them.

Other evidence can include school records showing that you grew up at the same address with your sibling and had the same parent(s), parent's old passport showing the children's names (if it was allowed for the children to travel on the parent's passport without having their own passport).