Family based/Employer based AOS - post-interview experience; need suggestions.

resident1374

Registered Users (C)
I am requesting some expert answers (RealCanadian? Ginnu? Anyone?)

Recently had family-based AOS interview with the USCIS (my wife is a naturalized citizen). One question was asked by the officer - "Did I travel outside US after filing the AOS?" and my answer "Yes - to Canada for few days - by car".

I traveled to Canada on my company’s H1B.

The officer explained that once you file you Marriage based GC the only way you can travel is on Advance Parole. Travel on H1B is possible as long as the H1 and the AOS is of the same employer. In my case the AOS was family-based and the travel was on H1B. Such a travel may be considered to be abandonment of the Family based GC process.

The officer was extremely helpful in providing us information and said he needed more time to go through my case and decide on approval/denial of my case after consulting with other officers/supervisors (I130 looks good for approval) but there is a possibility (he said) that I may have to re-file the I-485 but there is a possibility that I may be approved.

He told he is waiting on some papers which is in some other State and that will take some time (not sure what papers was he talking about)

He also said that he will also look into my employer-based GC and see if he can approve that case if possible? Well, I am not sure about that as my priority date is SEP 2004 (EB3). This he said will save me some money of not re-filing and also instead of 2yr conditional GC (marrige is less than 2yrs) I will be able to get 10 yr GC. He took a copy of my I-140 receipt.

Now, I have a full-time offer from a company and not sure what to do? What if I use my Family-based EAD - that will invalidate my employer based pending AOS - correct? And what if my Family-based I485 gets denied due to abandonment while on the EAD - is the EAD still valid or is it valid only after re-filing the I485?

Any suggestions?

I am requesting some expert answers (RealCanadian? Ginnu? Anyone?)

Recently had family-based AOS interview with the USCIS (my wife is a naturalized citizen). One question was asked by the officer - "Did I travel outside US after filing the AOS?" and my answer "Yes - to Canada for few days - by car".

I traveled to Canada on my company’s H1B.

The officer explained that once you file you Marriage based GC the only way you can travel is on Advance Parole. Travel on H1B is possible as long as the H1 and the AOS is of the same employer. In my case the AOS was family-based and the travel was on H1B. Such a travel may be considered to be abandonment of the Family based GC process.

The officer was extremely helpful in providing us information and said he needed more time to go through my case and decide on approval/denial of my case after consulting with other officers/supervisors (I130 looks good for approval) but there is a possibility (he said) that I may have to re-file the I-485 but there is a possibility that I may be approved.

He told he is waiting on some papers which is in some other State and that will take some time (not sure what papers was he talking about)

He also said that he will also look into my employer-based GC and see if he can approve that case if possible? Well, I am not sure about that as my priority date is SEP 2004 (EB3). This he said will save me some money of not re-filing and also instead of 2yr conditional GC (marrige is less than 2yrs) I will be able to get 10 yr GC. He took a copy of my I-140 receipt.

Now, I have a full-time offer from a company and not sure what to do? What if I use my Family-based EAD - that will invalidate my employer based pending AOS - correct? And what if my Family-based I485 gets denied due to abandonment while on the EAD - is the EAD still valid or is it valid only after re-filing the I485?

Any suggestions?

Officer is Planly wrong. It does not matter what kind of AOS you are doing, H1B is still valid because it is dual intent visa. Even EAD is given the person who has one or more Pending I-485. So there is no issues Like Family-based EAD or Employment based EAD. It is just a EAD.