F1 visa overstay due to COVID

yasa

I overstayed my F1 visa for 4 weeks due to my country’s airport being closed since March 2020. My degree ended on May 23rd and I didn’t apply for OPT as i had no intention of staying in US. I was informed of a repatriation flight in June but decided not to go on this as i’m a high risk patient for COVID and i was worried for my safety. I then talked to the director of ISSS (International Services for Students and Scholars) at my university to get advice on what to do. She advised me not to change status as it’s costly and takes time and instead told me to keep track of my correspondence with my embassy. I did as i was told and was finally able to leave US in August. However, now I’m worried about the implications this visa overstay has on future visa applications, whether non immigrant or immigrant. Please give some clarification if possible. Thank you.

F1 students are admitted for D/S and don't automatically accrue unlawful presence by just staying past the end of their program. (And even if you did accrue unlawful presence, which you didn't, you wouldn't trigger a ban if you left after accruing less than 180 days of unlawful presence.) Not having a ban doesn't necessarily mean you will get a nonimmigrant visa -- you can always be denied for immigrant intent if there is anything they don't like in your history. It shouldn't affect immigrant visas.