F1 to M1

mononoke

Hi
I'm currently a F1 visa student and I'm applying to a vocational school, which requires me to obtain a M1 visa instead of F1
I've got all the documents I need to apply for M1 but I just don't know where I should send them
If I'm in my country, I know that I will need to go to the US Embassay but since I'm in the States already, where should I go?

Please help me with this
Thank you very much

school or INS?

Hi
I would think your school would do that for you. otherwise call INs (it's an 1800 nr you can find it through 411) and ask maybe they will point you to the local INS. I have the same problem, my student status is expiring and I need to register for school again to stay. Do you know of any cheap schools in california?

hope this helps.

u need to apply for a change of status with the INS. The form tht u need to apply is I-539.

but before u do that u will need to get an I-20 from the new school from which u will be doing ur vocational course.

ALong with that u will require to send them your old school I-20, copy of your I-94. Also u will need to send them a personal check of $200.

It generally takes bout 2 months for the change of status process.

Let me know if this helps.

You need to change status from F-1 to M-1 visa; process is similar to when you first got F-1 visa such as you need to get I-20 from the school and prove financial ability.

Disclaimer:- The information provided is of a general nature and is not intended to be construed as legal advice or creating an attorney-client relationship with Law Firm.

Hi
I'm currently a F1 visa student and I'm applying to a vocational school, which requires me to obtain a M1 visa instead of F1
I've got all the documents I need to apply for M1 but I just don't know where I should send them
If I'm in my country, I know that I will need to go to the US Embassay but since I'm in the States already, where should I go?

Please help me with this
Thank you very much

submit for I-539 change of status to UCIS
viraj's info is correct, mostly, but outdated. go online and follow the instructions for filing a I-539 online

just note, M-1 visas are able to be renewed for up to three years.. i did.