F1 to H1

sk999

Registered Users (C)
Q. What if OPT expires before H1 starts? This is a concern which lot of F1 students have. Is there any grace period?
Can the 60 day grace period (which F1 students have from the date of OPT expiration) be used to overcome this gap? Thanks

Originally posted by sk999
Q. What if OPT expires before H1 starts? This is a concern which lot of F1 students have. Is there any grace period?
Can the 60 day grace period (which F1 students have from the date of OPT expiration) be used to overcome this gap? Thanks

Yes. If the 60 days fall immediatly before 1 October.

F1 to H1 Cap and Grace Period

Hello Rajiv,

I am right now on my OPT and it expires on 5 July 2004. I have recently got a job (Mar 4) by which the H1 quota was over. so, I was unable to apply for H1. So I Have got a couple of questions w.r.t this situation :

1) If I apply for my H-1 in first week of april and my Visa gets approved on April 15 (Valid from october 1st). I can stay legally in US after 30 june ( I meant by not working after 5 th july but staying) till oct 1st (The date my H1 starts, as it is more than 60 days!!!)?

2) I have got a PhD admission from a school starting from Aug 14, 2004. I want to ask you whether even though i have H1 valid from october 1st I can still attend that school on F1 status till my H1 starts "OFFICIALLY".

Thanx in advance for the help.