F1 student working with SSN without authorization... what are the consequences?

foxmiller

Hi everybody,

I'm an F1 student here in US doing my sophomore year at a college. I know a lot of F1 students that work with their Social Security Numbers although without any work permit or EAD. Currently, I have been experiencing really hard economic issues that I was considering doing the same but I'm afraid about the consequences that might follow later on. Students say that none of them really had any problems so far, but what I am actually concerned about is what happens a lot further down the road? Like after graduation, maybe later on when I try to change my F1 to a work visa, or if I apply to Green Card or something? Does engaging in unauthorized work jeopardize being able to get H1B or GC greatly? I know it does jeopardize it, but HOW BADLY? Since I am present in US legally, and will be paying taxes to America's dying Social Security program do you think they might cut some slack? Or do you know anyone that got away with this?

I know I could apply for work permit since I'm here in the States for more than a year now, but I just transfered to this University and it seems to be really hard to convince my DSO that I need work... And you know how hard it is to get a work permit anyways.

So I would greatly appreciate if anyone could share their opinion, experience, or anything they know about the matter.

Much thanks beforehand everybody.

If you have a SS card it should clearly state "No work authorization without USCIS approval " And that's what it is -No work unless USCIS says you can work.
I do not think you should look what other students do.
You should do what is good for you.
Talk to your international student advisor. and see what they recommend.
If you really are having financial problems (and you should have to prove it) they will work with you to get things fixed.
Just remember, not being able to buy a $100 pair of jeans and have to settle for a $20 pair is not considered financial problems.
When you applied for the F1 visa you had to prove that you had enough funds to get you thru the study, before you were given an I-20.
A change in the availability of those funds will probably qualify you for a work permit. But talk to your advisor and definitely do not accept employment without proper authorization. It may come back to hurt you.

Just my 2 cents.

foxmiller,

You should not do it because it will make you worried all the time. I did it few months ago and now I'm really worried. Funny thing is I went to Canada ( without obtaining any f-1 visa since my visit was only 1 week), I got my new I-20 stamped when I return to the US. I assume they don't check for it, but you should not do it if you are thinking to get another visa to stay in US...

Illegal employment puts your out of status, but doesn't make you unlawfully present since you have a D/S visa. You might have a very hard time applying for a GC down the road, and they might also deny you OPT/CPT if they find out. Otherwise they are usually no immediate consequences.

Hi everybody,

I'm an F1 student here in US doing my sophomore year at a college. I know a lot of F1 students that work with their Social Security Numbers although without any work permit or EAD. Currently, I have been experiencing really hard economic issues that I was considering doing the same but I'm afraid about the consequences that might follow later on. Students say that none of them really had any problems so far, but what I am actually concerned about is what happens a lot further down the road? Like after graduation, maybe later on when I try to change my F1 to a work visa, or if I apply to Green Card or something? Does engaging in unauthorized work jeopardize being able to get H1B or GC greatly? I know it does jeopardize it, but HOW BADLY? Since I am present in US legally, and will be paying taxes to America's dying Social Security program do you think they might cut some slack? Or do you know anyone that got away with this?

I know I could apply for work permit since I'm here in the States for more than a year now, but I just transfered to this University and it seems to be really hard to convince my DSO that I need work... And you know how hard it is to get a work permit anyways.

So I would greatly appreciate if anyone could share their opinion, experience, or anything they know about the matter.

Much thanks beforehand everybody.

Foxmiller, I think desperado140 gave you a good explanation. Your DSO should be able to work a deal with you. You will need to prove that your source of income is not enough to support your studies here. Also, you can work without any work authorization on campus.
I new F-1 students that worked illegally and I heard cases were some of them got caught. The problem is though, if you get caught they'll kick you out of the country and will put on you on an reentry ban for quite some time. In other words, they'll withdraw your F-1 status and you ARE going to be illegally in this country 'cause you have broken the law. In case you change your status, you'll have to lye and that might screw you up big time. By the way, paying taxes to uncle Sam does not mean anything in your case. Actually, that's how they'll find out that you accepted illegal employment. If I were you, I'd do everything possible to do it legally. In this country, if you do something illegal it will haunt you all your life; even if you do not get caught. Good luck to you.

I know a friend who got stuck at POE because of that, he was denied entry and had to take his last semester ( 2 classes) online back in his country.
IO run his SSN and noticed tax payments.......I recommand you dont play with immigration.

Working off campus on F1 is illegal. As someone else has said, there are hardship waivers; check with the DSO. Check into on campus jobs; they may be able to increase your authorized work time.

You should not be experiencing financial problems if you were truthful on the sponsorship questions when you applied for F1 unless there were some disasterous circumstances to your sponsor. You may need to go for credit counseling to have them help you reduce your expenses.