• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

F-1 visa and Diversity Lottery

gargantuan79

I am a first-year Ph.D. student here in Michigan (I have been here for 3 months). I applied for the DV-2003 and wasn't lucky enough to win it. Now I want to apply for the DV-2004 again; but there's one question that's been making me think for a while. If I win the lottery and apply to adjust my status from F-1 to Permanent Residency, will I ever jeopardize my current nonimmigrant(student) status because I applied for the DV lottery and therefore showed immigrant intent? Thanx for your help.

Originally posted by gargantuan79
I am a first-year Ph.D. student here in Michigan (I have been here for 3 months). I applied for the DV-2003 and wasn't lucky enough to win it. Now I want to apply for the DV-2004 again; but there's one question that's been making me think for a while. If I win the lottery and apply to adjust my status from F-1 to Permanent Residency, will I ever jeopardize my current nonimmigrant(student) status because I applied for the DV lottery and therefore showed immigrant intent? Thanx for your help.

I was in your situation too. Your application to DV lottary does not mean that you have intention of immigration. If you win and then apply for AOS then the case is different. Once you submit your I-485 then you will not be able to apply for F-1 extention etc. But at that stage you don't care because you have the green card at your hand. Any other suggestions from any other members?

I agree. To be absolutely safe, it is best to go to your home consulate after winning DV to get your GC rather than going for AOS. That will rule out you missing 30 Sept. deadline due to AOS delay. This is more important if your number becomes current in later part of year.