F-1, H-4, and travel

jackpeter

My wife is in F-1 in the Graduate School. She came to US with F-2 then switched to F-1 in Mexico. She is planning to go back to China this summer. I am a H-1 holder and just start to switch my wife\'s F-1 to H-4 which will be valid on August 2, 2002. My wife wants to come back from China at the end of August. Pls suggest me what we can do?
1. If could she get F-1 visa stamp in China? Pls notice that she changed her visa from F-2 to F-1in Mexico.
2. If she come back after August 2, 2002, is it ok for her to use her F-1 visa? If not, what she can do?
3. If is it much safe to keep her F-1 visa until she is back from China?
Appreciate any response!

Jack

Could be easier to go with F1

Depends on whether your wife has complete Graduate program to meet graduation requirements by Aug 2002. If she plans on getting F1 revalidated (extended) for duration till end of graduation + PT then F1 stamping in China could be viewed favorably as she is going back to country of origin and applying from there. This is a plus. After coming back she can switch to H4 once she has graduated and used 1 yr PT.

pending H4 to F1

Hi,friends,

I got laid off by the end of last month (3/29/02), before lay off date (3/29/02), I have filed application materials for transferring from H1B to H4, then I got receipt from INS (Vermont Branch)and told me it will take 120 to 180 days to process H1B to H4 case. Now, I got I-20 from a university with a full financial aid (TA position).

My questions are:

(1) Can I transfer my Pending H4 to F1 now, or I have to get my H4 approved first, then transfer from existing H4 (not pending H4) to F1 ?

Because time is very important for me, I was admitted for Fall Semester(end of August), 2002 by the above university.

(2)If I can transfer my status ( from Pending H4 to F1 ) now.

(a) How should I deal with my current pending H4, do I need to withdraw this case or ask INS to keep on processing my application for F1 visa based on current pending H4 ?

(b) For I-94 Card and my latest I-20 Form, Should I submit the Copies of I-94 and I-20, or Notarized copies of I-94 and I-20, or Original I-94 and I-20 ?

I noticed that different person has different opinions about I-94 and I-20 submission, and attorneys said that all documents can be submitted by copies (not originals)if these documents are submitted by attorneys themselves, which one is correct ?

Thank you for all friends\' reply

Samuel W