Extension is approved.

bholaram1

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,
I 539, extension of stay in B2 status, is approved for my parents at NSC for 6 months.
RD mid july'02 (R. notice mentioned 60-125 days for processing)
AD 9/12/02
They first entered US in March, 2002 and had initial stamp of 6 months. We applied for extra 6 month extension from 9/8/2002 to 3/7/2003 and it is granted. Following is list of Documents we sent to NSC.
---
Cover letter listing all attached documents.

INS filing fee in amount of $140 (personal check).

Form I-539 Application.

Copies of their I-94 cards, front and back.

Copies of their Passport data pages that include passports issue date and expire date (first 3 pages)
Copies of their Passport pages showing last admission stamp in
US and current visa that was used to enter US.

Letter explaining why extension of stay is requested.

Affidavit of Support Form I-134 signed by me, along with Letters from my Employer and Bank Official showing available resources to support them during their stay.
---

We never sent original I-94 cards.
The reasons for seeking extension were
1) to spend some more time with their first newborn grandchild and establish a special bond with her and mark this trip most memorable.
2) to visit all the possible tourist places from California to Las Vegas to New York to D.C. to Florida etc.
3) Content and Rewarding professional life back home (India) so willing to go back home soon after visit.
4) Enough Financial support during extended stay by their son, me.

We were planning to keep some of their property and tax paper from India ready if asked. We were also thinking about what to do if asked to show their return ticket to India as VSC often ask this return ticket.

Purpose of B2 visas are for pleasure/tourist activities and social visits. SO when we mentioned reasons for extension, we included all of them but none other than those.

Good luck to all of you,

Thanks a lot for giving such clear details!

Thankyou for taking the time to post even the minor details.
I am sure this info will be useful for many!
Cheers!

extension of stay on reentering from Canada....is it legal?

I want my mother (from India) to extend her stay IN USA for some personal reasons which are not worth mentioning to INS but what is the legal way to do it. We don't want to fill up any form for the extension of stay to INS as it didn't work last time but want to know is it legal if she goes to Canada and gets a stamp from the there to reenter USA? What are the chances that for how long she would be allowed to stay after she returns from Canada?