expired passport to interview

WorkingMan06 said:
Does passport you bring in to interview have to be current. Mine expired two years ago and I never renewed it.
The objective for bringing your passport is for the officer to verify the exit and entry stamps. I would think that you are OK since you wouldn't have been able to travel on an expired passport in any case.

Not necessarily true. If they're Canadian and drove across the border you don't and still don't need a passport. So they have no clue how many times you have travelled between those two countries at least. Of course since you don't need a passport to cross over, they won't be stamping it either.

The passport also verifies your citizenship as well I believe. I was told I needed to bring mine with me, but it was never looked at during the interview. Of course they already had a photo copy of it from the initial N-400 applicaiton...

If I remeber this correctly, you should have a valid passport for at least 6 months before expiration...... If I were you, I will get a new passport just to be at safe side.

warlord and WorkingMan06:

Just curious, was there any particular reason(s) why you both submitted a copy of your passport with your initial N-400 submission?

Thanks.

Sammy

Citizentobehz said:
If I remeber this correctly, you should have a valid passport for at least 6 months before expiration...... If I were you, I will get a new passport just to be at safe side.
I am wondering where you got this information fromm. The naturalization guide from the USCIS web site states that you can present your passport for the interview even if it is expired! Read the section: being interviewed from the guide I mentioned above.

Last edited by a moderator:
The need for a passport to have 6 month or more validity is typically only when you are entering a country on a visitor visa. Doesn't apply in this situation.

boatbod said:
The need for a passport to have 6 month or more validity is typically only when you are entering a country on a visitor visa. Doesn't apply in this situation.

Correct. You do not have to renew your passport for the interview. Guide to Naturalization is also very specific about this. I think that we discussed about it previously several times:

Discussion about expired passport #1

Discussion about expired passport #2

Last edited by a moderator: