Expired Conditional Resident Card Renewal Process

shinug

Registered Users (C)
We (me & my wife) are in a situation that her conditional permenant resident card was expired in june 2006. Do you think we will get our petition approved? When can I expect a reciept (Letter saying that you are authorized to work and travel) from the day we filed form I-751 (Exactly how many days from the day that you sent the petition). Please help.. A Million thanks in advance. We are scheduled to travel outside U.S within weeks. We are worried about the approval process more than Travel.

Any comments are appreciated..

NUT>>>

shinug said:
We (me & my wife) are in a situation that her conditional permenant resident card was expired in june 2006. Do you think we will get our petition approved? When can I expect a reciept (Letter saying that you are authorized to work and travel) from the day we filed form I-751 (Exactly how many days from the day that you sent the petition). Please help.. A Million thanks in advance. We are scheduled to travel outside U.S within weeks. We are worried about the approval process more than Travel.

Where the hell have you been? Buried under a rock? Didn't the immigration officer explained to you the IMPORTANCE of applying for removal of conditions 90 days prior to 2nd yr anniversary? :confused: You petition will or will not be approved. No one can give you an exact response that USCIS will offer you once they receive your application... :rolleyes: .

Send the application for removal of conditions, and expect to be get a response in 10 days. If they give you a letter authorizing you to work and travel for a year, then you can travel in and out of the country while they review your application. However, if you don't hear back from them, DON'T assume that border officers will understand that you wife forgot to renew your greencard, they are going to deport your wife.. :eek: If I were in your situation, I will scrap travel plans and wait for this matter to be resolved, or risk living without my wife, while I struggle to get her greencard reissued and renewed. :mad:

Send the application as soon as possible, plus solid evidence proving the bona fide aspect of your marriage... :rolleyes:

shinug said:

OMG... How could that happen??? It is important, it is vital, it should be a priority in your life to file I-751 90 days before your conditional card expires.

They won't approve your I-751 now, because your wife is not eligible for the removal of conditions any more. She's now illegal. Unless you had a seriou-serious-serious reason not to file 90 days prior to the conditional card expiration date (like a serious illness and hospitalization), your I-751 will be denied.

Get a lawyer immediately. You may have to file I-485 again.

if you didn't submit the removal of conditions application when you were supposed to, most likely she will be denied and you will have to start the i-485 nightmare all over again. don't even think about travelling right now. if you did submit it before her GC expired and you are waiting for the Notice, then it's been some time so you need to call them up.

here is the law:

"What if I am Late in Applying to Remove the Conditions on Residence?

If you fail to properly file the Form I-751 (Petition to Remove the Conditions on Residence) within the 90-day period before your second anniversary as a conditional resident, your conditional resident status will automatically be terminated and the USCIS will order removal proceedings against you. You will receive a notice from the USCIS telling you that you have failed to remove the conditions, and you will also receive a Notice to Appear at a hearing. At the hearing you may review and rebut the evidence against you. You are responsible for proving that you complied with the requirements (the USCIS is not responsible for proving that you did not comply with the requirements).

The Form I-751 can be filed after the 90-day period if you can prove in writing to the director of the Service Center that there was good cause for failing to file the petition on time. The director has the discretion to approve the petition and restore your permanent resident status."

Last edited by a moderator:
shinug said:

Hi:

No lecture. I see you have already been lectured. When you file the application now, it is at the discretion of the USCIS director at the service center to accept it or not. Legally, you have lost your status already. However, there does appear to be a trend for it to be overlooked in SOME cases ---- I have seen many instances where the applicant was still approved.

Write a very nice, apologetic letter along with the I751. Now is the time to "kiss ass".

Late I-751 got approved.

Dear PianoPlayer,

Thanks for your advice on my issue (Posted in december 2006). I just wanted to let you know that our I-751 got approved (even though we filed it 7 months late). Thanks for your positive post and I really appreciate it.

Here is what happened (if this is helpful for someone else)

06/01/06 - Conditional Green Card expired.
12/12/06 - Realized that we have an Expired Green Card.
12/13/06 - Filed I-751 (Petition to remove condition)
12/30/06 - Receipt of I-751 recieved (Receipt date was 12/15/06) (Green card extended for 1 year from day it was expired).
01/05/07 - Received a letter for Finger Print on 01/11/07.
01/11/07 - Finger Printing
06/01/07 - One Year Extention has expired.
06/01/07 - Green Card Temporarly extended agian for 1 more year (Went to local INS office to do that)
09/24/07 - New Card Production Ordered (Received an Email).
09/27/07 - Approval Notice Sent.

If you have any questions, feel free to email me at georgeliby@gmail.com

L.George

Hi:

No lecture. I see you have already been lectured. When you file the application now, it is at the discretion of the USCIS director at the service center to accept it or not. Legally, you have lost your status already. However, there does appear to be a trend for it to be overlooked in SOME cases ---- I have seen many instances where the applicant was still approved.

Write a very nice, apologetic letter along with the I751. Now is the time to "kiss ass".

Dear PianoPlayer,

Thanks for your advice on my issue (Posted in december 2006). I just wanted to let you know that our I-751 got approved (even though we filed it 7 months late). Thanks for your positive post and I really appreciate it.

12/30/06 - Receipt of I-751 recieved (Receipt date was 12/15/06) (Green card extended for 1 year from day it was expired).
06/01/07 - Green Card Temporarly extended agian for 1 more year (Went to local INS office to do that)

L.George

Isn't it about time she files N-400 to become a citizen? she could have done it before the 1 year letter expired...

Dear PianoPlayer,

L.George

Congrats, I can say that you are one of the luckiest...
What reasons did you give them? I'd love to know

Wow you didn't even have to go for an interview.Congratulations.Well to some of the people on here who think they know what uscis will do All the time,here's another example.As far as i've seen,it's really is up to who handles your case and how they feel that day.Anyway once again congratulations!!!

Congrats!!!

I am happy for you and your wife.

As Pville said with all these issues, it really depends on who has your case. There isn't really any all around definite answer.

There is another example. The DMV is another good example, some are strict, some less strict. You never know until you try and maybe try again. What do you have (more) to lose by trying???

Men, they eat this guy up and spit him out. Some member's on this forum will make someone want to take their belts and shoe string so they won't kill themselves. Instead of giving positives they give you the worse case. And look ,his stuff got approved. Congrats and good luck to you and your family. And yes about the DMV, u do have to try, I'm going to start having a positive attitude. Because anything can happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow...congratulations. You are one of the luckiest for sure...I personally a know a guys whose case was denied on the fact that she didn't apply for removal of the conditional GC. May i ask you what is the reason you gave the CIS?

Cheers

Part of I-751 Letter

Thanks!

Here is what I wrote in the letter with my limited writing skills. I guess it worked.

Exact words from the letter (Only part of it.)
=================================
“We were scheduled to travel abroad on December 27th of 2006 and came to know that <Name> has an expired Permanent Resident Card (Conditional). It was a genuine mistake from our side and we take the responsibility of this situation. We didn't mean to disobey the immigration laws by not renewing the card. The situation has occurred because of our circumstances. First of all, we were not aware that the card was valid for only 2 years (most of our family Alien Cards were valid for 5 to 10 years). Also we didn't have any intention to leave the country until now, which was another reason we never looked at the card/expiration date. Also, we were extremely busy with our new born baby, work and school which lead to this situation.”

“One key point that I want to bring to your attention is that, we didn't do this intentionally or due to the ignorance of the immigration laws, but solely due to the lack of knowledge and circumstances. We regret and apologize for not renewing the card on time and will promise that it won't happen again in the future. So, please excuse this late filing and kindly remove the conditions on <Name>'s Residence.”

“Now, we are jointly filing this petition (I-751) to remove the condition on <Name>'s Residence. Along with the form and this letter, we are attaching copies of the following documents to support the evidence of our relationship.”

Congrats, I can say that you are one of the luckiest...
What reasons did you give them? I'd love to know

Reason given for Late I-751

Thanks! Shas123,

Please read the post above this (where I posted portion of my letter to USCIS explaining what really happened). I just told them the truth. I couldn't come up with a lie at that time. But it worked:).

Thanks for your comments.

Wow...congratulations. You are one of the luckiest for sure...I personally a know a guys whose case was denied on the fact that she didn't apply for removal of the conditional GC. May i ask you what is the reason you gave the CIS?

Cheers

What is DMV?

ConstructUs,

Could you tell me what DMV is?

Thanks!

Congrats!!!

I am happy for you and your wife.

As Pville said with all these issues, it really depends on who has your case. There isn't really any all around definite answer.

There is another example. The DMV is another good example, some are strict, some less strict. You never know until you try and maybe try again. What do you have (more) to lose by trying???

ConstructUs,

Could you tell me what DMV is?

Thanks!

I guess that doesn't concern you because you probably already have your drivers license.

DMV= Department of Motor Vehicles

I referred to that to point that like with your case there is no definite YES or NO someone can tell you here. The final decisions are taken by the officials, and depending on who you come upon (DMV or USCIS) and their mood of the day you may or may not get what you want. You just have to try. Which you did and it worked. Some people in AOS but with NOAs (I-797) and SS# cannot get their drivers license, but I got mine with NO PROBLEM.

Once again congrats!!!

All the best...

Thanks!

Here is what I wrote in the letter with my limited writing skills. I guess it worked.

“We were scheduled to travel abroad on December 27th of 2006 and came to know that <Name> has an expired Permanent Resident Card (Conditional). It was a genuine mistake from our side and we take the responsibility of this situation. We didn't mean to disobey the immigration laws by not renewing the card. The situation has occurred because of our circumstances. First of all, we were not aware that the card was valid for only 2 years (most of our family Alien Cards were valid for 5 to 10 years). Also we didn't have any intention to leave the country until now, which was another reason we never looked at the card/expiration date. Also, we were extremely busy with our new born baby, work and school which lead to this situation.”

“One key point that I want to bring to your attention is that, we didn't do this intentionally or due to the ignorance of the immigration laws, but solely due to the lack of knowledge and circumstances. We regret and apologize for not renewing the card on time and will promise that it won't happen again in the future. So, please excuse this late filing and kindly remove the conditions on <Name>'s Residence.”

“Now, we are jointly filing this petition (I-751) to remove the condition on <Name>'s Residence. Along with the form and this letter, we are attaching copies of the following documents to support the evidence of our relationship.”

By the way, good, simple, concise and HONEST letter.

Happy for you that it worked.

Thanks!

Very sincere letter, If I were the one working on that case I would consider approving it as well.
Once again, congrats and be grateful to God, because this looks like a miracle...

Merry Christmas to all!

I have received/receiving so many emails from families who went through, and going through the same situation that we did almost 8 years ago. By the grace of God, we've got our permanent green card without any issues (see my response in this thread above). I have talked to at least 10 families and communicated via email to about 10-15 families in the past 8 years. I have always told them that, if your case is genuine, please send your application with all the supporting documents along with a letter stating the "TRUTH" (whatever that is) and overnight your package. I have added a part of my ORIGINAL letter that I sent to with our application in this thread above. To the people that I talked to (via phone/email) when they were in agony (I REALLY KNOW HOW THAT FEELS LIKE), the only thing that you can do it to send it and wait. They will issue an extension for 1 year upon receipt of your application - which is good for authorization to work (along with your expired green card).

One favor that I have asked to everyone was, to let me know once their application gets approved or rejected. So that, it could be helpful for others who will be going through the situation. SO FAR I HAVE NOT RECEIVED A SINGLE BAD NEWS!.
Most of them didn't respond. Some came back and told me the entire story. I am happy for them all. This month, I have received 5 inquiries from people going through the same situation. I only have one thing to say. "Apply Fast with all the documentation". The decision is totally at the discretion of the USCIS handling your case. Be honest, tell them the truth. Your application will get approved.

God Bless you all. Wish every one a Happy New Year 2016!!

This is very nice of you keeping the thread updated. I'm glad your ordeal was ended well and others too.
This is how it should be, the purpose of the forum is sharing knowledge.