Expiration of Medical Examination (I-693)

ccordova624

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I was researching in the USCIS web that the medical examination is valid for 12 months only (http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...toid=eb1f3591ec04d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD). It this is true, then what if it have been more than 12months or close to it , since TSC has requested them and you have filed them? Are we going to receive another RFE for medicals again? Should we call TSC an let them know that our medicals are about to expire?

1. Does anybody have a similar situation?
2. Does anybody have been approved with a medical examination on file that its more than 12 months old?

My sister and I received RFI (medicals) from TSC on 03/06, we sent them in the same month. Now we are close to march and we have no approval yet. Based on the USCIS website, our medicals are about to expire. What should we do? We have already filed 2 medicals exams; 1 when we first filed the I-485, and another one when we were requested in 03/06.

Last edited by a moderator:
ccordova624 said:
Hi,

I was researching in the USCIS web that the medical examination is valid for 12 months only (http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...toid=eb1f3591ec04d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD). It this is true, then what if it have been more than 12months or close to it , since TSC has requested them and you have filed them? Are we going to receive another RFE for medicals again? Should we call TSC an let them know that our medicals are about to expire?

1. Does anybody have a similar situation?
2. Does anybody have been approved with a medical examination on file that its more than 12 months old?

My sister and I received RFI (medicals) from TSC on 03/06, we sent them in the same month. Now we are close to march and we have no approval yet. Based on the USCIS website, our medicals are about to expire. What should we do? We have already filed 2 medicals exams; 1 when we first filed the I-485, and another one when we were requested in 03/06.

Just chill & wait! Do not call USCIS & offer to submit new medical exams. Do what they ask, do not volunteer stuff.

Do not worry about their rules/laws that 1 year has expired etc etc. RFI was a generic piece of paper sent since during some point INS said NO medicals are needed(since adjustment was taking 5 years to be completed before the cap)...

Usually RFI is a generic thing. IF an officer opens your case and sees that you need a new medical, he will send you a RFE. I doubt he will. The rule of medicals expiring in 1 year is not really enforced with strict iron fist...

Just chill!

Based on personal experience, the officer has some flexibility. It depends on how old the medicals are. For example, if it is a year and 2 months, they may let it go. But if it is 5 years or longer, it is less likely. But I agree, wait to see what they tell you and take a chill pill! :)

I am in the same situation. My medical expires in Feb of this year. I hope they know what they were doing when they asked us to submit our medical. We all thought, due to the backlog elimination, that they will approve us before that one year was up. We will see. I have taken an Infopass appointment for jan 16 and I plan to ask the IO that same question. I will let you know what he/she says.