Experts - Travel to Canada for PR with 7th yr H1 extension

immquest

Registered Users (C)
Experts,

[I have also posted this at the H1 visa issues forum]
Here is my status

H1B Visa and I94 on Passport expired.
Have valid H1B extension documents with validity upto 5/15/2005.
Visiting India for visa interview at Madras during March and plan to return in last week of March.
Labor applied on 1/30/2004 and my employer has agreed to file for 7th yr extension by premium processing. I requested this so that I MIGHT have a chance of getting those docs before I leave for India and hence get a visa that would be valid upto one year beyond 5/15/2005 on the passport.

Meanwhile, my Canadian PR has been approved and I need to land there by Jun,8 2005.

1)Is it better to land in Canada before the visa on the Passport expires or can I do that even after visa has expired given that I have valid extension papers?
2)I recently called the border crossing at Pembina ND||Emerson, MB and the canadian immigration officer told me that he would be collecting my I94. I have read in several forums that for a travel less than 30 days, we need not hand over the I94.
If I hand over the I94 and have an expired visa on the Passport, will that be a problem during reentry into US? will I be given a new I94 based on the extension papers?
3)will the fact that I have landed be a problem for my ongoing GC process as the US immigration officer will know that I have accepted Canadian PR and also have a GC in US?

Thanks

Meanwhile, my Canadian PR has been approved and I need to land there by Jun,8 2005.

1)Is it better to land in Canada before the visa on the Passport expires or can I do that even after visa has expired given that I have valid extension papers? why don't you go to Canada first, get the visa at a US consulate there and then come back here. It will be much better and less riskier than doing it in India, in the mean time your Canadian PR will also be taken care of.[/I]
2)I recently called the border crossing at Pembina ND||Emerson, MB and the canadian immigration officer told me that he would be collecting my I94. I have read in several forums that for a travel less than 30 days, we need not hand over the I94.
If I hand over the I94 and have an expired visa on the Passport, will that be a problem during reentry into US? will I be given a new I94 based on the extension papers? you will need a visa to re-enter to the USA given that your I-94 expired.3)will the fact that I have landed be a problem for my ongoing GC process as the US immigration officer will know that I have accepted Canadian PR and also have a GC in US?

now I am confused, I thought you have a 7th year extension, how do you have a GC then? iF it's in progress, US INS doesn;t seem to bother ...if u r asked, just tell them you intend to give up the Canadian one once US GC is issued.