Experiences with renewing NP

talie777

Registered Users (C)
I know that everyone's experience is different but what reason did you guys give when your consulate ask why your NP has expired and was not renewed? I am debating if I should renew my NP (expired in 2002) if my case is approved but don't know what to say if my consulate ask me that question. Thanks.

talie777 said:
I know that everyone's experience is different but what reason did you guys give when your consulate ask why your NP has expired and was not renewed? I am debating if I should renew my NP (expired in 2002) if my case is approved but don't know what to say if my consulate ask me that question. Thanks.

They shouldn't ask you that. But if they would I would tell them that didn't need it until now.

what if your counselate asks for copy of your GC

this happened to me

i went to my counselate general to renew my NP, they asked for my copy of my GC,

I refuse to give them a copy, i asked them if i can show them my GC only,

they refused, i walked away, i was afraid if i give them my copy of my GC they will send it to the ins,

iam not sure i did the right thing

I renewed my NP when I was on asylee status. I thought when I got my green card I was going to use my NP(+GC) while travelling, so I might as well renew it . They did not ask anything regarding my status here. But I guess it depends on the consulate. Some countries/consulates ask about it, some don't. By the way by renew I mean extend the date which is shown on the "renewal" pages of my NP. I did not get a new NP. Maybe if I had my NP lost and wanted to get a new NP, then they might have asked for my legal status here. Anyway, like I said depends on your country. I suggest you phone your consulate; do not give your name and just ask what you need to bring to renew your passport and if they need to see proof of your legal status here and if they need to check the visa on your passport and whatnot.....Or you can just get an RTD and wait 4 more years till you get your US citizenship and US passport.

Last edited by a moderator:
clotty said:
I renewed my NP when I was on asylee status. I thought when I got my green card I was going to use my NP(+GC) while travelling, so I might as well renew it . They did not ask anything regarding my status here. But I guess it depends on the consulate. Some countries/consulates ask about it, some don't. By the way by renew I mean extend the date which is shown on the "renewal" pages of my NP. I did not get a new NP. Maybe if I had my NP lost and wanted to get a new NP, then they might have asked for my legal status here. Anyway, like I said depends on your country. I suggest you phone your consulate; do not give your name and just ask what you need to bring to renew your passport and if they need to see proof of your legal status here and if they need to check the visa on your passport and whatnot.....Or you can just get an RTD and wait 4 more years till you get your US citizenship and US passport.
i guess u are still in asylee status ;) i has nothing against you :)

SINNERSROOM said:
i guess u are still in asylee status ;) i has nothing against you :)
Did I say I was not in asylee status? No. I said when I renewed my NP, I was in asylee status at the time; it does not imply I no longer am.

jubilee said:
yes,they ask for the reason of expiration..and your current immigration status.
you not suppose to renew your n. passport ...apply for r.t.document or rentry permit if you are green holder

I know that. But he was asking the question disregarding that we r not suppose to do it. I personally used my NP while being asylee. I sent INS copies and never got any questiond raised from them. I didn't renew it though. But if I'll need to I will. INS don't give a crap about it. As long as we don't brake the rules. And none of the rules says that we can not renew our NP's. If INS don't want us to do it then they should speed up Citizenship for asylees (just like refugees).

The reason I am debating if I should renew my NP or not is because some countries do not accept or won't issue visas for RTD. I am pretty sure that my country's consulate would ask me that question and give me a hard time especially since my ethnic group is a minority in my country and they always treat us like second class citizens.

Thanks for all your inputs.

talie777 said:
The reason I am debating if I should renew my NP or not is because some countries do not accept or won't issue visas for RTD. I am pretty sure that my country's consulate would ask me that question and give me a hard time especially since my ethnic group is a minority in my country and they always treat us like second class citizens.

Thanks for all your inputs.

And what makes you think you will get a visa on your NP if they wont issue it on a RTD. Usually if you show your NP, you need to show your GC. With RTD, you dont need to show a GC if you are an asylee.

So the question is how will you get a Visa..i mean tell me a country that will give a visa to an asylee on their NP???? IF you had your GC in hand, your point was valid.

GC on hand. May I travel with my old NP still valid or must travel with RTD?

I received my GC (AS6 for me and AS7 for my wife).
My old NP is still valid (issued before asylum granted). Do I still have to use a RTD to travel and return to the US or may I just use my NP.
Will there be a problem at port of entering back to the US with this?

Is there any link to any document that addresses this issue?

Thanks

Note: I am not traveling to my COP.

JS you are right. My consulate also asks for copy of GC and Drivers license. In addition since my NP expired more than 6 months ago , i need to submit a sworn in Affidavit, that i have not applied for Travel document or Asylum in US.
Now tell me with so many restrictions how can apply for it. They can always send the Affidavit to INS.
But, i dont' know what will happen if i need to visit my COP urgently. So, all those who think getting a GC means you are out of Asylee status are WRONG.

Asylee13 said:
So, all those who think getting a GC means you are out of Asylee status are WRONG.

Correct.

Your asylee status does NOT cease upon adjustment of status. An an example, if you were granted asylum by the USCIS Asylum Office, that office retains the right to revoke asylum status even after adjustment of status has been approved.

Remember, after getting gc you can still access benefits available to asylees only--like filing for a RTD, getting federal welfare benefits and filing the I-730 peition for family members.

thankful said:
Your asylee status does NOT cease upon adjustment of status. An an example, if you were granted asylum by the USCIS Asylum Office, that office retains the right to revoke asylum status even after adjustment of status has been approved.

Remember, after getting gc you can still access benefits available to asylees only--like filing for a RTD, getting federal welfare benefits and filing the I-730 peition for family members.

Agreed. Having GC for asylees to me mostly serve as a bridge to getting the citizenship, but other than that most things applied to asylees still applies to us. That 4 years period when one has GC till they get citizenship is an odd period where things are not that black and white in some aspects. One has some benefits of having a GC just like any other GC holder but yet unlike most other GC-holder types still have access to the benefits only available to asylees.

wantmygcnow said:
And what makes you think you will get a visa on your NP if they wont issue it on a RTD. Usually if you show your NP, you need to show your GC. With RTD, you dont need to show a GC if you are an asylee.

So the question is how will you get a Visa..i mean tell me a country that will give a visa to an asylee on their NP???? IF you had your GC in hand, your point was valid.

If i got the question right, here is the answer: countries like France and Taiwan didn't accept RTD and asked for NP to issue a visa. In case of France the status was Asylee. In case of Taiwan the status was asylum based PR. I know it doesn't make sense, but that's the case.

KarinaM said:
If i got the question right, here is the answer: countries like France and Taiwan didn't accept RTD and asked for NP to issue a visa. In case of France the status was Asylee. In case of Taiwan the status was asylum based PR. I know it doesn't make sense, but that's the case.

If you research it more which I did, France used to issue visas on NP +GC. IF you were an asylee, theoretically, you could not travel to france. They would not issue visas to asylees.

They have changed that now.

I don't know about taiwan.

wantmygcnow said:
If you research it more which I did, France used to issue visas on NP +GC. IF you were an asylee, theoretically, you could not travel to france. They would not issue visas to asylees.

They have changed that now.

I don't know about taiwan.

I understand the theoretical part, but this is what happened: I got Shengen visa from French embassy two years ago in my NP (wasn't GC holder then), since they refused to put it in RTD.