experiences travelling with Reentry Permit?

teenygirl

Registered Users (C)
I'd like to hear from people who have travelled with Reentry Permit.

I used to travel with my refugee travel document, but now that I have the actual plastic green card (received the card in the mail June 23 2005), I would like to apply for a Reentry Permit, just because it lasts 2 years and cost the same as RTD.

I'd like to travel to Poland and Austria with it. Does anyone have experience travelling to those countries using RP?

RTD sucks...I've been to Hongkong (require Visa) , Korea (no visa required), Malaysia (visa required) and I always have to spend a longer time than a regular National Passport holder at the customs. All of the local I/O always flip through my RTD page by page with a puzzled look, not quite sure what to do with it. And my fiance who has an austrian passport just flies through the customs in no time.

Anyway..any experiences of travelling with a RP would be great. I've never used it before...

i have the same experince like you

i got my GC on aug 23 2005, i applied for REENTRY DOCUMENT ON oct 2005,

i used to travel a lot using RTD, each time i come back to america,

i had to go for second inspection at the INS office at the airport,

my wife who have japanese passport treated like american citizens,

the good thing about having GC is there is no need to fill i 94 card in the airport, and there is no more second inspection,

we will be treated like american citizens.

Yes I had to go for a second inspection although it doesn't take that long, just a bit embarassing. I remember I had to go to a room where they make me sit for about 5 minutes or so..then ask me to come up, put a stamp and a new I-94, and no questions asked.

I recently came back from a trip in august, and was still using my RTD but because I had my green card, went through the customs with absolutely no problem, was treated just like a US citizen.

Now I'm more concerned about whether other countries (in particular Poland and Austria) will recognize Reentry Permit as a valid travel document.

so john tell me... even after u get the plastic card u still need a permit to travel??? i thought the GC was it!!! is it like AP or different?

Teenygirl,the process is the same as you use RTD or Permit for visa purpose.If you want to go fast with visa issuance in embassies,I advise you to use your National Passport with your GC.Since RTD and Permit are not Passports,it suks in some embassies to get a visa as fast as you want it.This depends on visas issuance policy for each country.For England,no problem.You get your visa the same day no matter if you use RTD,Permit or NP.For France,depends on what country you're from,it may take 2-3 days when applying with your NP while you have to wait for 2 to 3 weeks for RTD or Permit.

Teenygirl,now when you come back to the US,you will be treated as a US citizen if you have a Gren card. No matter what travelling document you hold(NP,RTD,Permit).

Does anybody know if INS can track your travels down. Two years ago I went back home for two weeks for emergency reasons. After reading posts here, I am getting nervous that INS is going to bring it up when making a decision on GC. Do they record anything in the computer at the INS station at the airport? Do they know where I traveled from?

14ksusha said:
Does anybody know if INS can track your travels down. Two years ago I went back home for two weeks for emergency reasons. After reading posts here, I am getting nervous that INS is going to bring it up when making a decision on GC. Do they record anything in the computer at the INS station at the airport? Do they know where I traveled from?

i think they may have the record, i dont think they will track you down every u travel because u are not "important" to them to use their precious resources..heh

Who has used their NP to travel?

I read quite a few postings in this forum about against using your own NP. I'm afraid to use my NP (expired anyway, and afraid to renew) so as not to give them a chance to deny my application for US citizenship.

I have many friends (about 15 or so, we all applied together) who got their green cards through asylum and none of them have ever travelled using NP.

Anyone else have travelled using their NP? If so, any problems?

14ksusha said:

14ksusha! were you principal applicant of Asylum or were you a derivative asylee (son-daughter-spouse of person given asylum)?

To Teenygirl

We all are aware of using NP because nobody so far has any experience about.As PR as a result of asylum,it's really risky to go back home.But using your national Passport for trips to others countries should no be a problem,since we got so many folks in the past going to local INS with their national passports for stamp.My aunt is asylee and had her renewed NP stamped in Feb 2005 after being approved.There was no problem with this.Now if you got NP stamped,it means you may also use it for travel purpose.As PR from asylum, you can use your NP,RTD or Permit to travel( not to your home country ) and your GC serves as a visa to reenter the US.As asylee,the only proof as a visa to reenter the US is your RTD and that's why you only have to use it to travel(Not to your home country).

teenygirl said:
I read quite a few postings in this forum about against using your own NP. I'm afraid to use my NP (expired anyway, and afraid to renew) so as not to give them a chance to deny my application for US citizenship.I have many friends (about 15 or so, we all applied together) who got their green cards through asylum and none of them have ever travelled using NP.Anyone else have travelled using their NP? If so, any problems?

I spoke to my lawyer about it. It is not so simple at all...

If you need it for a legitimate reason which you would be able to prove if requested (such as for instance selling your property in your native country or travelling to the country which doesn't accept RTD) you should be OK. But don't play games: don't say something like: "I wanted to go to France, but later changed my plans" or anything of that kind.

It has been discussed a lot in previous threads, the bottom line is there is no defenite answer: there are lawyers who say it's no no, while there are lawyers who say it's no problem if you need it for something legitimate.

Also, there is nothing written against renewing, so chances are yours...

Last edited by a moderator:
its too risky to renew NP

i was planning to renew my NP at my country counselate general in order

to use it for some official business, my counselate general requested

copy of my GC as proof of immigration staus in order for them to renew my NP,

i was so nervous to send them copy of my GC , i got the feeling they will mail it to the homeland security dep.

Just use the darn re-entry permit and forget abour renewing your NP.
It's risky and this is a dirty word when you're an asylee.

I wouldn't do it personally.