Exiting US prior to issuance/receipt of physical GC

fish4all

Registered Users (C)
Would appreciate assistance in the matter below:

A friend of mine entered US on Immigrant Visa (Issue Date: 11-Oct-10; Expiry Date: 10-Apr-11). Date of Entry in US was 01-Apr-11. Now he wants to exit US without having physical Green Card in hand. Questions are:

(1) Can he exit US in absence of GC?
(2) Can he re-enter US on the basis of the immigrant visa (IV) on his passport? IV has the clause that "upon endorsement serves as temporary I-551 evidencing permanent residence for 1 year".
(3) If someone provides him the physical GC outside US (awaited at the moment), can he re-enter US on that GC (without having it at initial exit)
(4) How long does it generally take for physical GC to reach after the entry into US.
(5) Is there any way to track physical GC?

Look forward to your support and guidance.

Would appreciate assistance in the matter below:

A friend of mine entered US on Immigrant Visa (Issue Date: 11-Oct-10; Expiry Date: 10-Apr-11). Date of Entry in US was 01-Apr-11. Now he wants to exit US without having physical Green Card in hand. Questions are:

(1) Can he exit US in absence of GC?
(2) Can he re-enter US on the basis of the immigrant visa (IV) on his passport? IV has the clause that "upon endorsement serves as temporary I-551 evidencing permanent residence for 1 year".
(3) If someone provides him the physical GC outside US (awaited at the moment), can he re-enter US on that GC (without having it at initial exit)
(4) How long does it generally take for physical GC to reach after the entry into US.
(5) Is there any way to track physical GC?

Look forward to your support and guidance.

Upon entry, the endorsed (stamped) Immigrant Visa is a substitute for the greencard. The actual card should arrive in around a month after entry. The temporary proof in the passport is just as good as the greencard (for a year). IF a SSN was NOT requested in the Visa Application, the stamped passport can be shown at a Social Security Office. The stamped passport is good for proof to an employer for the I-9 (although E-Verify could be delayed for a short time, it is still OK). He can can use either the actual card or the stamped passport to exit and re-enter the U.S. An inquiry through the 800# could provide some info regarding card production based on the A#. It is premature to inquire yet.