Even after 3 month, havent received the Asylum application Receipt number...please help

asylee2010

Registered Users (C)
I filed application 3 months ago through my lawyer...Havent received anything even receipt...

Last edited by a moderator:
My attorney in houston filed my asylum on 18th may and we havent even received the receipt number from the USCIS. Please reply If anyone had the same problem. My attorney says that sometimes they take time but I called National service Center and they say that the receipt noticed should be received within 21 days of application bring filed. Is there a way to check the application status without receipt number??

That is very strange. If you had a competent attorney, he should have mailed your application with a Return Receipt confirming by the postal service that the applciation was received. If he sent it FedEx or UPS, you (or your attorney) should get the tracking number and see online and check if the place that it was sent to had received it. If there is evidence of receipt by USCIS, then make an INFOpass appoitnment. If he does not have any type of confirmation, you need to get a new lawyer ASAP, get a copy of your completed application and re-file with an explanation letter of what happened. I had a Return Receipt from the US postal service in 2 days, and got a receipt from USCIS in about 5 days.

Also, you can't check the status of an Asylum application by calling them or looking it up online.

my attorney is not providing me with return receipt or any prove that he filed my application

Last edited by a moderator:
my attorney is not providing me with return receipt or any prove that he filed my application. I paid him $5000 and he is pretending to be very busy and doesnt even answer my calls. what should I do now...my attorney is a very famous houston lawyer with AVVO rating of 10.

That is absolutely ridiculous. Do you have a copy of your application with all supporting evidence? How long have you been trying to contact him? Can you go see him at his office? Get a copy of the filed application? I would take that with you and make an INFOPASS appointment with your nearest USCIS office.