Entry As Visitor After TN Refusal

greenbird272

Hello!

I have a question related to an earlier refusal of a TN visa. In January, I tried to receive a TN visa as a Canadian citizen at the border crossing. It was ultimately denied based on the officer's decision that my background did not qualify me for a technical position. They took my photo and fingerprints and allowed me into the country on the same day on B-2 status, as I was given three weeks to pack up my apartment in the US (which I did within the given time).

As a result, I returned to Canada and started working for the same company remotely. As it is a writing position, they pay me per article as a foreign correspondent. Prior to beginning this, I double-checked with an immigration lawyer, who told me that working this way was perfectly acceptable as long as I was living and paying the taxes on the income I received in Canada.

This month (approximately four months after the TN visa was denied), I will be heading to Seattle for a 5-day trip to see friends. I will have a return ticket and genuinely do not intend to stay in the US longer. That said, I am concerned that my prior refusal will affect my ability to enter the US as a tourist or lead to questioning about where I currently work — do you believe it will?

Well, as you realized, you were not refused entry last time, just refused a TN, and given a limited duration B2, because of the risk you posed to not leaving.
Now that you are established in Canada, as long as you bring proof of residency, -- utilities, current DL, etc -- you should be fine.

You are working as a contractor for the US firm. which is perfectly fine.