Enter U.S. to get married but do not want to immigrate B2 or K1?

sansnom

Registered Users (C)
My fiancée (naturalized U.S. citizen), and I (Permanent Resident in Canada with China passport) are going to get married. We are planning to register marriage in California, where my fiancée's families live and where she currently live. After getting married, she will move to Canada, where I live. Hence, I'm wondering do I need a K1 visa to enter U.S. or I can legally use my existing B1/B2 visa? I do not have any intension to migrate to U.S. and I would tell the truth if CBP asks the purpose of the trip.
What was worse, I am subject to J-1 2 years rule so that I don't think I can obtain K1 visa.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can use your visit visa for this. As for whether or not you should tell immigration you'll be getting married, I'm not so sure. If you both have REALLY strong ties to Canada that you can show, then I feel you can tell them you're getting married. Otherwise, I think you ought to say you're going for a visit. But, some others here might disagree.

You can use your visit visa for this. As for whether or not you should tell immigration you'll be getting married, I'm not so sure. If you both have REALLY strong ties to Canada that you can show, then I feel you can tell them you're getting married. Otherwise, I think you ought to say you're going for a visit. But, some others here might disagree.

What could be a strong tie to Canada? How about: I applied Canadian citizenship and am waiting for it so that it doesn't make sense to leave Canada?

Could be, but strong ties are usually a good job, house, family, etc. If you don't have too many strong ties, then definitely do not profess your intention to get married in the US. Have you made arrangements for the wedding? Is it going to be big? Or, are you just getting married at city hall, and will be getting the licence when you get there? If so, you tell them you're going for a visit. For all they know, you decided to get married spontaneously, and then you LEFT the US to pursue consular processing, which would be fully legal and appropriate.

Could be, but strong ties are usually a good job, house, family, etc. If you don't have too many strong ties, then definitely do not profess your intention to get married in the US. Have you made arrangements for the wedding? Is it going to be big? Or, are you just getting married at city hall, and will be getting the licence when you get there? If so, you tell them you're going for a visit. For all they know, you decided to get married spontaneously, and then you LEFT the US to pursue consular processing, which would be fully legal and appropriate.

Thank-you for quick and helpful response!

We are just engaged and started planning our wedding next February. Our preliminary plan is to get a license in Los Angeles and then have the wedding in Tahiti. So the ceremony in U.S. would be minimal and I'll probably only stay in U.S. for two or three days.
Someone also suggested that I can just tell CBP that I'm transiting to Tahiti to get married instead of saying marry in Los Angeles. What do you think?