Enhanced Drivers License (EDL).

Username

Registered Users (C)
I had my oath on Wednesday and applied for my EDL (Enhanced Drivers License) on Thursday. I would like share what I learned about EDL AFTER I had applied for it and I was on my way out of their office.

So I had read about this quite a bit on their website.
http://www.dol.wa.gov/about/news/priorities/edl.html
I had also read about the RFID. I was OK with this because in one part they mention that it’s not powered (passive) and the only time it gets activated is when it comes close to reader device that only border or government agencies have.
http://www.dol.wa.gov/about/news/priorities/rfid.pdf
It sounded very safe and secure.

I applied for it. Just before leaving their office they told me that I need to keep it in it’s jacket. It’s a metallic jacket (I think lead). The agent said this jacket protects it from people activating it and stealing your information. I said that my wallet has a window where I can show my license when needed. He said that you can’t use that anymore, you have to always keep it in it’s metallic jacket from now on. If I had known this information, I would not have applied for EDL.

I have since been doing more research on this and found this is thing has lots of information and very easily hack able. People can steal your information very easily. I highly recommend against this and plan to go back to drivers license place and ask to get back my normal drivers license. Here is one of dozens of sites regarding this topic. http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2004316708_rfid31.html

Thought I should share this information with you. I will wait until I get my new driver license, then I’ll go back to DOL and ask for my old drivers license.

Hope this information is useful to others and that you make more informed decision.

--Username

No, only 2 or 3 like New York and Washington (with an international border) are issuing it for now I think. And, soon, if you don't have an EDL, you'll need a passport or passport card for federal ID requirements like getting on a DOMESTIC flight even, or entering a federal building. But, if I'm correct, only citizens are eligible for EDLs, right?

I had my oath on Wednesday and applied for my EDL (Enhanced Drivers License) on Thursday. I would like share what I learned about EDL AFTER I had applied for it and I was on my way out of their office.

So I had read about this quite a bit on their website.
http://www.dol.wa.gov/about/news/priorities/edl.html
I had also read about the RFID. I was OK with this because in one part they mention that it’s not powered (passive) and the only time it gets activated is when it comes close to reader device that only border or government agencies have.
http://www.dol.wa.gov/about/news/priorities/rfid.pdf
It sounded very safe and secure.

I applied for it. Just before leaving their office they told me that I need to keep it in it’s jacket. It’s a metallic jacket (I think lead). The agent said this jacket protects it from people activating it and stealing your information. I said that my wallet has a window where I can show my license when needed. He said that you can’t use that anymore, you have to always keep it in it’s metallic jacket from now on. If I had known this information, I would not have applied for EDL.

I have since been doing more research on this and found this is thing has lots of information and very easily hack able. People can steal your information very easily. I highly recommend against this and plan to go back to drivers license place and ask to get back my normal drivers license. Here is one of dozens of sites regarding this topic. http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2004316708_rfid31.html

Thought I should share this information with you. I will wait until I get my new driver license, then I’ll go back to DOL and ask for my old drivers license.

Hope this information is useful to others and that you make more informed decision.

--Username

I have an EDL since the last 6-8 months and have not seen any problems with it (security wise).

No, only 2 or 3 like New York and Washington (with an international border) are issuing it for now I think. And, soon, if you don't have an EDL, you'll need a passport or passport card for federal ID requirements like getting on a DOMESTIC flight even, or entering a federal building. But, if I'm correct, only citizens are eligible for EDLs, right?

EDL's are for USC's only. :)

passport card

I guess password card is like this , that is also advised to keep in the jacket.

With a high-gain antenna, people can read the signal from more than 30 feet away if you don't have the EDL or passport in its protective jacket.

Last edited by a moderator:
If someone does gain unauthorized access to the data on the EDL using a high gain antenna.. the state govt issuing the EDL will get into muddy waters very very quickly.

If someone does gain unauthorized access to the data on the EDL using a high gain antenna.. the state govt issuing the EDL will get into muddy waters very very quickly.
How will they know that the crook got the data from the EDL? They'll use the data as if it were obtained from any other identity-theft method. You won't know if it came from hacking into your employer's system, or from some printout with your personal data on it that was dumped from your bank without being shredded, or from bribing somebody who works for your credit card company's offshore center.

So what are you saying, that green card holders and other legal residents can't enter federal buildings and board planes? How will they go to their naturalization interview if they can't enter USCIS offices which are offices that belong to the federal government? Sounds fishy to me.

So what are you saying, that green card holders and other legal residents can't enter federal buildings and board planes? How will they go to their naturalization interview if they can't enter USCIS offices which are offices that belong to the federal government? Sounds fishy to me.

cafeconleche was not entirely correct. When the RealID act's implementation is finalized, everyone living in the U.S. will have to obtain a federal ID in order to enter federal buildings and board airlines. It just so happens that the passport card and EDL comply with the RealID act guidelines and may be used in place of a federal ID.

Does the new US passport also come in a protective jacket?
The passport book does not, but the passcard comes with a protective sleeve (metallic on the inside) that you are recommended to store your document in. The passcard chip itself does not contain any personal information. It only contains a code that is unique to the DHS database. They read your chip using the RFID card and the code embedded in the chip tells them where to look in their database for your information. Nobody can steal your personal information just be reading the RFID chip in your passport or passcard unless they also have access to the DHS database. I assume that EDLs work in a similar fashion, but I am not certain as CA does not yet use these.

Even though nobody can steal your personal information, they can tell that you are carrying a passport / card with an RFID in it if you're walking down the street with an unprotected card. As such, they might be able to tell if you're American. However, my sense is that many (most?) countries will be moving to an RFID-type passport in the near future.

Vorpal, I didn't realize that the RealID law meant you had to get a federal ID to enter a federal building or board an airplane. I thought it only meant that only certain forms of govt ID would be acceptable...if a state complies with the RealID guidelines when issuing regular DLs, then these will be acceptable. The real problem would come if a state did not comply with RealID guidelines - then the state's residents could not use their DLs for boarding airplanes etc.

Vorpal, I didn't realize that the RealID law meant you had to get a federal ID to enter a federal building or board an airplane. I thought it only meant that only certain forms of govt ID would be acceptable...if a state complies with the RealID guidelines when issuing regular DLs, then these will be acceptable. The real problem would come if a state did not comply with RealID guidelines - then the state's residents could not use their DLs for boarding airplanes etc.

I believe that the federal government will require all states to issue RealID-compliant documents, such as EDLs. If certain states refuse to comply, not only will their inhabitants be unable to enter federal buildings or board planes, but the federal government will cut federal financing to those states.