Employment Opportunity Asylee

sawaal13

Registered Users (C)
:( All,
My wife has been granted asylum status by an immigration judge as a few years ago and after one year of wait, she filed for her adjustment of status(I-485).
Her fingerprint notifications have been completed as well.

In the meantime, she has gotten an opportunity through an employer to work for a fed government agency who deals with treasury contracts. In order to qualify for this job, she really needs to prove that she is authorized to work in the US. The other requirement is her being a permanent resident.
I know she is in the queue to become one.

In addition to that, the Social Security administration treats refugees and
asylees as permanent residents.

Please see link below
http://www.ssa.gov/immigration/documents.htm

My wife has gotten this opportunity after a year of sitting at home due to our child's birth and she is really keen on this job.

We need to furnish documents or INS acts to prove that the adjustment of status is being done and in the mean time the asylees looking for employment are treated as permanent residents and can work on federal government agencies projects

PLease advise at the earliest.

Thank you very much. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I had this problem 3 times already.. Some employers or should i say most employers dont know the law..

What i do is i give them my SS Card and then Drivers License and so far they ask me where is your Green Card and i tell them i dont have one but i have an I-94 and approval letter stating i am authorized work in the united states as long as i remain in an asylee status and for the 3 times. It worked with no problem.

shefe said:
I had this problem 3 times already.. Some employers or should i say most employers dont know the law..

What i do is i give them my SS Card and then Drivers License and so far they ask me where is your Green Card and i tell them i dont have one but i have an I-94 and approval letter stating i am authorized work in the united states as long as i remain in an asylee status and for the 3 times. It worked with no problem.

I agree and it is a shame that we know the law and they don't. May be is just
ignorance. I was been in the same spot that I had to print the I-9 and take
it with me to the employer and show them atleast required documents instead of GC.....I require that Sawaal13 check out the I-9 and it is very
easy to fill especially in your case (Driver L. and SSCard w/out the restriction
from INS...). Now a day they are handing you the I-9 from any employer who knows a little bit of the law,so may be your wife will be presanted with it.
Checked it out before.
God bless and praying for you guys.
Beloved

You need to research the requirement more. Congress and the Executive Branch agencies on rare occasions have required green cards for certain positions. If that is the case then you are out of luck an an asylee.

The key is to find law or regulation at issue and then analyze it.

Last edited by a moderator: