EAD renewal - not approved can i continue work

suresh_samatha

My current EAD is expiring on June 27th, if i dont receive renewal EAD by that time can i keep continue working or not. I would appriciate if some one helps in this matter.

I believe the answer is "no". I read somewhere that there is no liability on you if you continue to work without an approved EAD but your employer will be in trouble. They should have asked you to show your new EAD by now (I believe they fill out an I-9 form ro something). IF they have not then I assume the have forgotten to ask. Usually in biger companies they will send you a reminder 90 days beofre you EAD expires and nag you to prove that you have it renewed. WILL you get into trouble for working without a approvede EAD? I dont know.

I am in somewhat the same situation. My EAD expires on July 12th. I have no hopes that I will get my renewal before then.

When did you apply for your EAD? Which SC did you apply to?

Regards,
RatherGetShot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys,

you cannot work without a EAD, if its been more than 90 days since u have applied for renewal then take infopass appointment and go to the local SC they will issue interim-EAD.

My EAD expires on July 13. I understand that I cannot work after it expires. But, what r the options? Do I have to quit my job? Or can I go on leave without pay?

I would like to send an expedite request. Can someone give me the fax number for NSC?

I called up USCIS customer service regarding same. They informed me that if the EAD renewal is currently pending and you have the receipt for it, you are eligible to work.

After some reasearch, I found following:-

M-274 (http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedocuments/m-274.pdf)

Instruction for Completing Form I-9
(Employment Eligibility Verification Form)

Page 20 (page 22 of pdf) seem to suggest same.
Text reads as follows:-

"Part Eight
Acceptable Documents for verifying Employment Eligibility.

To establish both identity and employment eligibility, a person can present a Passport,Alien Registration Card, or one of the other documents from List A.

If a person is unable to present the required document(s) within 3 business days of the date employment begins, he or she must present (within 3 business days) a receipt showing that he or she has applied for the document. The person then must present the actual document within 90 days of the date of employment begins. The person must have indicated
on or before the time employment began, by having checked an appropriate box in Section 1, the he or she is already eligible to be employed in United States.

List A

* Unexpired Employment Authorization Card (INS Form I-688A)"

Local Office and Interim EAD

The local USCIS office is no more issueing interim EADs

From the Interim EAD memo, I understood following:-

1. Local offices are given access to central system to approve your pending I-765 cases by computer/email/dedicated phone numbers to central office. So you should have a response in 30 minutes if everything is fine.

2. They may still have ability to generage Interim-EADs in worst case.