EAD based on pending asylum - gap between two EADs

rshar

Is there an official link/document/rule i can show to the employer in the interim until my new EAD arrives? I have applied for EAD renewal and might arrive after my current one expires.

Nop, if there is a gap between two EAD, then you are unauthorized to work in that period.
Seems like you have some experience in that, sadsoul. from what I gathered below

https://www.federalregister.gov/d/2016-27540/p-752
https://www.federalregister.gov/d/2016-27540/p-756
https://www.federalregister.gov/d/2016-27540/p-757

The EAD will automatically be extended for 180 days after expiration. is that something you aware of?

The USCIS link for the publish https://www.uscis.gov/news/news-rel...ased-immigrant-and-nonimmigrant-visa-programs

Yes, employment authorization should be automatically extended, according to that rule. However, no guidance has been published about this on the I-9 or employer handbook (which still says that receipts for renewal are not accepted) so it may not convince your employer.

I think there is a new USCIS director so it really depends on him and Trump's agenda.
No, it doesn't depend on them. It's a final rule that went through the rulemaking process for several years and is published in the Federal Register. They would either have to go through the long rulemaking process to publish a new rule to change it, or Congress would have to use the Congressional Review Act to overturn the rule (since it was published recently).

"Foreign nationals filing EAD renewal applications under some employment eligibility categories may receive automatic extensions of their expiring EAD for up to 180 days. The extension begins on the date the EAD expires and continues for 180 days unless the application is denied. Employees with a timely filed EAD application that is still pending may qualify for the 180-day automatic extension, even if that application was filed prior to the effective date of this rule (Jan. 17, 2017)"

The key word is some employment eligibility categories and according to below

"3. The renewal application was filed on the basis of a qualifying eligibility category code. As of the date of publication, eligibility category codes for a 180-day automatic extension are A03, A05, A07, A08, A10, C08, C09, C10, C16, C20, C22, C24, C31, and A12 or C19."

i just filed my 2nd renewal ead today (02/02/17) and i have approx 2months before my current ead expires on 04/07/17. i am so happy that c08 is in the list!!!!

thank you @newacct for the link and @rshar for the original post!

"
The new amendments provide for automatic extensions of the validity periods of certain Employment Authorization Documents (Form I-766) "

Why did it say I-766????? shouldn't it be I-765? did i miss anything? did i just file the wrong form?

"
The new amendments provide for automatic extensions of the validity periods of certain Employment Authorization Documents (Form I-766) "

Why did it say I-766????? shouldn't it be I-765? did i miss anything? did i just file the wrong form?
An EAD is a Form I-766. The form to apply for an EAD is Form I-765. Just like a green card is I-551 (whereas a form to apply for it might be I-485). Or that an Advance Parole is Form I-512, a Re-entry Permit is Form I-327, a Refugee Travel Document is Form I-571, but the form to apply for all three is I-131.

The documents that USCIS issue to you have form numbers too; it's just not well known.

An EAD is a Form I-766. The form to apply for an EAD is Form I-765. Just like a green card is I-551 (whereas a form to apply for it might be I-485). Or that an Advance Parole is Form I-512, a Re-entry Permit is Form I-327, a Refugee Travel Document is Form I-571, but the form to apply for all three is I-131.

The documents that USCIS issue to you have form numbers too; it's just not well known.
thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! i am so careless to find out that the ead card itself is i-766. now i feel relieved. with the automatic 180 day extension, i should be fine with no gap of employment.