EAD at Arlington

Nightlifer

Registered Users (C)
Just received a notice from CIS Arlington to show up in a week to pick up my EAD in Room 100 (I-765 submitted as part of the AOS package on 11/25/03). The notice instructs me to bring proof of residence and passport.

A multi-faceted question for those folks who have gone through this at Arlington: what is the procedure like? How much in advance of my appointment time (12 noon) should I be there? Do they ask any "provocative" questions (I am an overstay with I-485/I-130 pending)? Is there anything else I should bring besides proof of residence/passport?

Thank you!

You don't have to worry. I did the exact same thing last April and there are no provocative questions. Arrive no more than 30 minutes before the appointment and all you need as ID is proof of residence and passport. They'll check them, take your fingerprint and a photo and within 15 minutes you'll have an EAD. I had those worries too, I also overstayed and then married and applied for residency, but there were no problems. I actually have my interview tomorrow.

Good luck. :)

Went to get my EAD at Arlington today, and thought I’d share the experience.

To start with the bottom line: I was pleasantly surprised. The appointment was for 12:00 noon; I arrived at 11:45. Was asked to show the appointment notice at the security checkpoint. By 11:50, they called all 12:00 appointees into Room 100 (about 20 people altogether), asked each person to turn in his/her appointment notice, and instructed us to get our drivers licenses out. About a minute later, they started calling out names and handing people their original I-765s back, stamped and with a signature/fingerprint card attached. After my name was called, I was channeled into a line. At the head of the line, they checked the spelling of my name, verified my DOB, and took my fingerprint. Two doors down the hall, they took my photograph, and asked me to wait in a small waiting area. Two minutes later, they brought out my EAD. Done.

The whole process took maybe 7 to 8 minutes total. In fact, the most difficult thing about it was to find parking (that added another 20 minutes). The office staff members were both pleasant and courteous. Incidentally, no one asked for my passport or any other document or piece of paperwork (even though I had everything handy), aside from the drivers license and appointment notice.

Side note: they are definitely getting ready to move - the place is full of boxes, sealed filing cabinets, temporary cubicles, etc. According to Sen. Allen's office, the move should happen later this spring.

Last edited by a moderator:
See, told ya it'd be easy. I should have thought to tell you, the parking lot under Ballston Commons mall is close to the INS and cheap. Congratulations, now you can get an "over the table" job. Oh, they didn't tell me this, the A# on the EAD is your Social Security #. Apparently, you can go to the SS office and get an SS card now.
Oh and I have to be nosy, where are you from, Nighlifer?

Originally posted by Lcsd114
Oh, they didn't tell me this, the A# on the EAD is your Social Security #. Apparently, you can go to the SS office and get an SS card now.

Thanks again, Lcsd114. Actually, I've had an SSN and card for years, which allowed me to spend a few fun hours today registering with multiple employment agencies :eek:

Oh and I have to be nosy, where are you from, Nighlifer?

Russia.

Last edited by a moderator: