EAD and SSN

anytime68

Registered Users (C)
Guys,

my wife is a holder of dependent (H-4) visa and recently got her EAD card. Is she eligible to get Social Security Number or she will get it after receiving approval of AOS?

Thanx, anytime68

No Title

When a person is on H1, and has a SSN. Then when he get his EAD card, dose he need to get a new SSN?
or dose the number remain same but he is issued a new card which says "valid for work without authorization"?

No Title

When you work with EAD, your eligibility is still under the authorization of INS.
It\'s the same as with H1.
No need to replace your SS card until your GC gets approved.

After the GC approval

Is it required to renew the SS Card? Or is it just nice to have a SS Card without any restriction on it?

You should get new Social Security Card

Someone on H4 can get SSN, normally one even has to get it for different reasons like filling in tax forms and getting a drivers license.
My wife managed to get her CA drivers license without a SSN number. Then the police turned up at our door and started to ask questions. They investigated the DMV clerk for fraud because the drivers license was issued without a SSN.
Later when my wife (who is on H4) tried to get SSN, the SSN place refused to give it to her! Even after repeated visits to the office she still could not get a SSN. She needed this in order to get her fingerprints in order to do some volunteer work for children at our church. She could not fingerprints without SSN, etc. She gave up the volunteer work.
It took over a year until she got SSN, this time because she said she had to get it in order for us to do our tax return.
Later she had trouble with getting her drivers license renewed because DMV did not have her SSN.
We have been told that in order for her to start working using her EAD card, she needs to get a new SSN card. The number will be the same but the card has another wording.

trouble getting new SSN card with interim EAD

my wife got her interim EAD card at SF office yesterday because the 90 days had passed and INS had not processed our EAD applications. The office in SF gave us the interim cards, but they are only valid for 3 months.
Today my wife went to the Social Security Office (in Fremont) to change her SSN card (which says NOT VALID FOR WORK). When she showed her new EAD card, they would not give her a new SSN card because the card is only valid for three months! My wife had to spend over two hours at the SSN office, and they called INS in SF to ask why the card was only valid for such a short time, and they asked if INS could guarantee that the EAD would be renewed in October. Of course INS said that they could not give any such guarantee to renew the EAD in October, and they said that it is not even sure that we will get our Green Cards!
The end result was that finally the Social Secutiry Office gave in to my wife\'s persistent request, and they said they are going to issue a new SSN card that is valid for work, but this card will be automatically cancelled unless my wife visits them again and shows the renewed EAD card in October!
I call this kind of thing discrimination against immigrants.