E2 to Greencard question

jr2000

Hello,
following question. i have been in the US working on L1 for about 1,5 years and after that time periode I worked on a E2 visa. Is there an easy way to get a green card. My e2 is still valid for an other 3 years ..
thanks
JR

There is no "easy way" to get your greencard when in E2 visa status. Actually, when in L1a status it is a lot easier since you can skip the Labor Certification process. It is often very difficult for E2 visa holders to obtain greencards which is particulary the case when they own a majority of the company that sponsors them. The E2 visa also lacks the dual-(immigration)intent that is allowed with H1b. I have heard of one suggestion in which an E2 company grew its revenues to US 1 Milllion and then tried to go for the EB-5 immigration category.

Personally, I find the E2 visa one of the most flexible. It can be extended indefinitely (with 5 year increments) as long as you satisfy the underlying rules. Also, your spouse is allowed unrestricted employment authorization.

I suggest you discuss this with an immigration attorney with experience in E2 visas.

billy__bob said:
There is no "easy way" to get your greencard when in E2 visa status. Actually, when in L1a status it is a lot easier since you can skip the Labor Certification process. It is often very difficult for E2 visa holders to obtain greencards which is particulary the case when they own a majority of the company that sponsors them. The E2 visa also lacks the dual-(immigration)intent that is allowed with H1b. I have heard of one suggestion in which an E2 company grew its revenues to US 1 Milllion and then tried to go for the EB-5 immigration category.

Personally, I find the E2 visa one of the most flexible. It can be extended indefinitely (with 5 year increments) as long as you satisfy the underlying rules. Also, your spouse is allowed unrestricted employment authorization.

I suggest you discuss this with an immigration attorney with experience in E2 visas.

Just because a person is in E-2 rather than L-1A status does not mean that the person cannot obtain a green card as an international manager or executive. The dual intent issue can be somewhat problematic but is certainly not insurmountable.