• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV2017 2nd draw has taken place

Thank you Britsimon. Re-checked the ones I supported - no status changes here. Will be interesting to hear back from others in this and other forums.

Thank you Britsimon. Re-checked the ones I supported - no status changes here. Will be interesting to hear back from others in this and other forums.

It will be very small, maybe 5000 or 10000 people (half those numbers in cases) so - that is a fraction of the May draw, and many people won't check...

Hi all, I just got through to the second round for the 2017 DV lottery! I am OC 1000-ish and I have a few questions that I'm hoping you might be able to help me with;

- I was separated when I applied. I applied under my maiden name as it was never officially changed but added in my husband as the Spouse. Our divorce will be official from December and he won't be going through the application with me. Will it be an issue if I don't fill out his IV Application? Or do I need to do it anyway and somewhere down the line, remove him from the application?
- Does anyone have experience with any other issues with the application while going through a divorce?
- In addition to my Australian passport, I just received my Italian passport. I did not note this in my original application (I can't remember if I needed to) but is there any problems with having obtain a second citizenship from the time of applying and being selected?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Hi all, I just got through to the second round for the 2017 DV lottery! I am OC 1000-ish and I have a few questions that I'm hoping you might be able to help me with;

- I was separated when I applied. I applied under my maiden name as it was never officially changed but added in my husband as the Spouse. Our divorce will be official from December and he won't be going through the application with me. Will it be an issue if I don't fill out his IV Application? Or do I need to do it anyway and somewhere down the line, remove him from the application?
- Does anyone have experience with any other issues with the application while going through a divorce?
- In addition to my Australian passport, I just received my Italian passport. I did not note this in my original application (I can't remember if I needed to) but is there any problems with having obtain a second citizenship from the time of applying and being selected?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Congratulations. Did you get an email from them advising you to check?

1. You need to base your form on the facts as of the time of filing. So - if you complete the DS260 today it would be as married, with your maiden name (since you did not change it). That form will list husband. You can choose whether or not to include a DS260 as a beneficiary/derivative. If not, you simply do not complete a DS260 for him. Once the divorce comes through you can unlock and update your marital status.

2. There are not really any issues. Just be sure to be accurate with the facts as of the day you submit them.

3. No issues with the second citizenship at this point.

Thank you! I received an email this morning advising me to check, I logged in and got confirmation I had been selected for further processing!
My name was changed over to my married name however my passport is still in my maiden name, which is the name I used at the time of applying. I note there is the option to advise if you have gone by any other name - Will this be an issue?

Last edited:
Thank you! I received an email this morning advising me to check, I logged in and got confirmation I had been selected for further processing!
My name was changed over to my married name however my passport is still in my maiden name, which is the name I used at the time of applying. I note there is the option to advise if you have gone by any other name - Will this be an issue?

OK - thanks for confirming you received an email. It's interesting - because I am pretty sure they don't email all 19 million entries - so they probably send the emails only to those that won.

Regarding your name, if you have used a name in any way for any purpose (the married name in your case) it should be filled in on the DS260 in the alias section. That isn't a problem.

I'm sure more people will check this year than the past (pre-britsimonsays) years :D

Based on comments by Nicole above and one other case I heard from through the blog, it seems like they are sending emails (as I speculated above, just for winners).

That is similar to what they did when the system glitch meant some were not notified (i.e. emailing people that had won).

Based on comments by Nicole above and one other case I heard from through the blog, it seems like they are sending emails (as I speculated above, just for winners).

That is similar to what they did when the system glitch meant some were not notified (i.e. emailing people that had won).

Emailing selectees when there's an additional draw seems to be a standard practice. I recollect DV2013 selectees from the 2nd draw were emailed by KCC advising them to log in and check.

I entered again last year, just in cast things went south for my case (for whatever reason). Well, I was emailed by KCC about a second draw and discovered I'd been drawn again, with OC12XX. Needless to say, with my GC in the mail right now, I won't be putting in a DS 260.

Talk about long, long odds.

I entered again last year, just in cast things went south for my case (for whatever reason). Well, I was emailed by KCC about a second draw and discovered I'd been drawn again, with OC12XX. Needless to say, with my GC in the mail right now, I won't be putting in a DS 260.

Talk about long, long odds.

Three years running. Awesome!!!

Now, those OC numbers are sounding a bit high. 12XX - ouch!

I know, the odds are ridiculous.

Fair point. Though that would have gone current in past years? I imagine I'm at the very upper end.

It's quite a jump - about 20 to 25% up from DV2016. I think that would still be OK, but if that trend is uniform across regions (meaning EU got a big bump), it could remove the extra visas that supported AF and AS this year.

Closer to 1300 than 1200?

It's quite a jump - about 20 to 25% up from DV2016. I think that would still be OK, but if that trend is uniform across regions (meaning EU got a big bump), it could remove the extra visas that supported AF and AS this year.

Closer to 1300 than 1200?

That's a thought. I hope AF and AS aren't too badly affected. And it's lower than 1230.

i received an email simply saying to check my status and it appears ive been selected in the 2nd draw,

i called 3 different phone numbers and spent 3 hours on the phone and not one person knew this happened.

so its safe to say its real and i need to get my info done before other people take my spot?

i received an email simply saying to check my status and it appears ive been selected in the 2nd draw,

i called 3 different phone numbers and spent 3 hours on the phone and not one person knew this happened.

so its safe to say its real and i need to get my info done before other people take my spot?

Who did you call??

Yes you should process your DS260 soon - check my site for a guide about how you will process your case and a guide on how to complete the DS260.

http://britsimonsays.com/dv-lottery-guide/

If your update is on the official state.gov site yes it's real.
Did you enter via an agency? ( also confused about the phone numbers, as I recall the selection letter has contact details for KCC)