• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV2016 EU Winner (3rd time in my family)

AldoBlack

Hello everyone,

My name is Aldo and I am from Albania. :)

First of all I want to congratulate everyone who is selected for DV2016, and I hope for everyone who were not selected this year, I hope for them to be selected the coming years.

Last year I was very active member in this forum because my family (my father to be more precise) won the DV2014 2 years ago. @Britsimon , @SusieQQQ , @Sm1smom , @vladek , @vladek15425 helped me a lot through the process (and all other member of course.) and Thank You again. :) I was not qualified for DV Lottery back then because I was 21 years old. But all I care was for my family to go to USA. Last year, on 29th May 2014 we had interview but unfortunately my father's Visa was refused because he did not have proper education and job experience. These was the reasons that US Embassy in Albania told us. It was the second time the my father won the DV Lottery. First time (DV 2004, I believe) we got high CN and we did not get 2nd NL for 200 numbers.

But anyway. In October I applied for my aunt and my girlfriend for DV2016 and I thought to apply for myself. 3 days ago I checked my aunt's and girlfriend's account and they have not been selected, but when I checked my account it always said "SESSION TIMED OUT". I thought it was a bug on one of their servers. I crossed my mind that I might have won but I said "Come on Aldo. Stop dreaming". When I checked last night, the account said that I have been selected (Case number EU22XXX). I was surprised. Third time. I could not believe it.
Although this year I am not as exited as I was on DV2004 and DV2014 when my father was selected. I was very disappointed the first two times.

I have a word for all selectees. Do not be happy because you are selected. It is better not to be selected rather than be selected and then you get high CN or worse your visa get refused. It is far worse and you will be very disappointed. So if you are selected, complete the required forms and keep on with your lives as if you are not selected. I know that it might be impossible and your mind will always be on DV Lottery but keep your mind busy with work, school, friends and family.
This is my suggestion for all of you.

I wish all of you good luck and I hope you get the green card. :)

wow - amazing AldoBlack - really incredible luck.

If you are interviewing in Tirana there are some oddball things we now understand about what they insist on... so there is time to discuss, but hold off on submitting your DS260 for now.

Hello everyone,

First of all I want to congratulate everyone who is selected for DV2016, and I hope for everyone who were not selected this year, I hope for them to be selected the coming years.

Last year I was very active member in this forum because my family (my father to be more precise) won the DV2014 2 years ago. @Britsimon , @SusieQQQ , @Sm1smom , @vladek , @vladek15425 helped me a lot through the process (and all other member of course.) and Thank You again. :) I was not qualified for DV Lottery back then because I was 21 years old. But all I care was for my family to go to USA. Last year, on 29th May 2014 we had interview but unfortunately my father's Visa was refused because he did not have proper education and job experience. These was the reasons that US Embassy in Albania told us. It was the second time the my father won the DV Lottery. First time (DV 2004, I believe) we got high CN and we did not get 2nd NL for 200 numbers.

But anyway. In October I applied for my aunt and my girlfriend for DV2016 and I thought to apply for myself. 3 days ago I checked my aunt's and girlfriend's account and they have not been selected, but when I checked my account it always said "SESSION TIMED OUT". I thought it was a bug on one of their servers. I crossed my mind that I might have won but I said "Come on Aldo. Stop dreaming". When I checked last night, the account said that I have been selected (Case number EU22XXX). I was surprised. Third time. I could not believe it.
Although this year I am not as exited as I was on DV2004 and DV2014 when my father was selected. I was very disappointed the first two times.

I have a word for all selectees. Do not be happy because you are selected. It is better not to be selected rather than be selected and then you get high CN or worse your visa get refused. It is far worse and you will be very disappointed. So if you are selected, complete the required forms and keep on with your lives as if you are not selected. I know that it might be impossible and your mind will always be on DV Lottery but keep your mind busy with work, school, friends and family.

Wow Aldo, welcome back! And despite your reservations, congratulations! Although I agree entirely that until you actually get your visa, while you can't help planning, you should just go on with life as normal.
So, from what we understand your number should be absolutely safe and that should not be a problem.
Is it safe for us to assume that after your father's sad experience last year, you know what they are looking for education-wise and that you qualify?

wow - amazing AldoBlack - really incredible luck.

If you are interviewing in Tirana there are some oddball things we now understand about what they insist on... so there is time to discuss, but hold off on submitting your DS260 for now.

Thank You @Britsimon . :)
Hours ago I called a lawyer and I will complete the DS260 with him. I will meet with him next weekend I guess because he lives in another city. This time I have a proper education. 4 ears High School diploma and currently I am studying Computer Science and I hope to get graduated this year. (I hope because I have a lot of exams).
But as I said in my first post, I will submit DS260 and go on with my life. I do not was to get disappointed and shocked like last year.

May I ask what are these oddball things?

Wow Aldo, welcome back! And despite your reservations, congratulations! Although I agree entirely that until you actually get your visa, while you can't help planning, you should just go on with life as normal.
So, from what we understand your number should be absolutely safe and that should not be a problem.
Is it safe for us to assume that after your father's sad experience last year, you know what they are looking for education-wise and that you qualify?

@SusieQQQ Thank You. :) :)
I am 22 years old and in July I turn 23. I have 4 years High School Diploma and I am studying Computer Science. I hope to get graduated this year. I have a lot of exams so I do not know if I will but I will try my best. :(

Oh man, I remember your stor @AidoBlack. This is brilliant news - it was meant to be!

Thank You @Britsimon . :)
Hours ago I called a lawyer and I will complete the DS260 with him. I will meet with him next weekend I guess because he lives in another city. This time I have a proper education. 4 ears High School diploma and currently I am studying Computer Science and I hope to get graduated this year. (I hope because I have a lot of exams).
But as I said in my first post, I will submit DS260 and go on with my life. I do not was to get disappointed and shocked like last year.

May I ask what are these oddball things?

Why on earth are you seeing a lawyer. Filling the form in is covered in my guide - and you can get much more accurate information in this forum than you will get from a lawyer in Albania.

The oddball things are partially described on this pdf from the dvselectee site (specific to Tirana). That embassy does not seem to understand the differences between DV cases and other immigration cases.

Pay attention to the documents being expired and get as much as possible, but not too early (given their newer than 1 year old requirement). . They will ask for these documents before the interview.

Their document mentions the I864 for the affidavit of support. THat is the wrong form for DV cases, but we also know they apply the same standards to the I134 as they do for the I864. THat is clearly wrong - but they seem determined.

So - you must provide an I134. The income of the sponsor must exceed 125 of the federal poverty guidelines and they will expect the spouse of your sponsor to sign another I134. These things are specific to Tirana.

Wow! congratulations @AldoBlack. Quite happy for you, although I struggle to understand your need to engage a lawyer in this process. A complete waste of resources IMO!

Hello everyone,

Oh wowow :D!! What a great story :)! All things really do happen for a reason huh! And how amazing will it be when you also reach citizenship after 5 years and can sponsor your Father so he finally gets his own greencard as well :D! I believe God works in mysterious ways and when the timing is right always gives us the most greatest surprises in life!!!

You will make it, I'm sure this is Your time and that you will have huge success in the U.S. I know the moderators will be there to help you every step...

...Goooo Aldo :)!!

Holy cow aldo!
Your dads case was a heart breaking for all of us 14 dv selectees, especially that he made it to the interview, and he unfortunately failed on the education requirements.....
So glad to have you back here, big congrats buddy ....
You gonna make your dad proud

@EmilyW , @SnowAngely , @vladek15425 thank you, thank you thank you all of you. :D

@Britsimon , @Sm1smom I know. I've read it but my dad insisted. I said first that I could do it myself but he said that all people from south of Albania go to this particular lawyer so I did not want to get in fight with him.

@Britsimon , I have a question though. About completing the DS260 form, to the part I have to complete my addresses.

1. I have lived in many addresses. This is the timeline of addresses since I was born:

- My Hometown (Birthday until mid October 2011 - Vlore) - 1st address
- University (Mid October 2011 - Until June 2012 - Tirana) - 2nd address
- Summer, Vlora again (July 2012 - mid October 2012) - same as 1st address
- University 2nd year (mid October 2012 - June 2013) - same as 2nd address
- Summer vacations (July 2013 - mid October 2013) - same as 1st address
- University 3rd year (mid October 2013 - Mid July 2014) - 3rd address (changed home)
- Summer vacations and autumn (Mid July 2014 - mid November 2014) - same as 1st address
- Working and university (mid November 2014 - until now) - 4th address (changed home)

Regarding 1st and 2nd address I rented apartment but I did not went to lawyer and do paperworks about renting the home. Regarding 4th address, I did paper works and in paper works it is says that I rented the apartment September 2014 until July 2015, but I have live in Vlora until November 2014. And how should I submit the addresses? Should I submit the same address?

2. And one other question. When I applied for DV Lottery I a photo that I took from 2 years ago. The same photo I sent to KCC after my father got selected for DV2014. Will this be a problem?

3. I don;t think that you hear the news but all Balkan people are going to Germany seeking for asylum. Hoping that they will get e better life. I was fooled and said to myself to go there and check it out. I stayed in Germany for 2 weeks, on asylum seekers German camp but I saw that it was a dead end and I applied to return to Albania. Willingly. When I asked the German officials if this was going to be a problem later if I apply as a student or as a work visa they told me that it is not going to be a problem. I do not know if this is going to be e problem at the embassy.

I am sorry if I took your time and I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

1_ the addresses were you stayed, are just a normal formality dont worry to much about it, all they want to check thtough that, is if you stayed out of the country and were......
2_ dont montion that to the co, that you applied with and older photo, because they require a 6 months recent photo.
Just make sure you still look plus minus the same ....
And here too it woudnt be a problem, ny self I applied with an old photo.
3_ you didnt stay more than a year in germany so you don't need to report it.

1_ the addresses were you stayed, are just a normal formality dont worry to much about it, all they want to check thtough that, is if you stayed out of the country and were......
2_ dont montion that to the co, that you applied with and older photo, because they require a 6 months recent photo.
Just make sure you still look plus minus the same ....
And here too it woudnt be a problem, ny self I applied with an old photo.
3_ you didnt stay more than a year in germany so you don't need to report it.

Thank You for the answers @vladek15425 . :) . I really really appreciate it. :)

@EmilyW , @SnowAngely , @vladek15425 thank you, thank you thank you all of you. :D

@Britsimon , @Sm1smom I know. I've read it but my dad insisted. I said first that I could do it myself but he said that all people from south of Albania go to this particular lawyer so I did not want to get in fight with him.

@Britsimon , I have a question though. About completing the DS260 form, to the part I have to complete my addresses.

1. I have lived in many addresses. This is the timeline of addresses since I was born:

- My Hometown (Birthday until mid October 2011 - Vlore) - 1st address
- University (Mid October 2011 - Until June 2012 - Tirana) - 2nd address
- Summer, Vlora again (July 2012 - mid October 2012) - same as 1st address
- University 2nd year (mid October 2012 - June 2013) - same as 2nd address
- Summer vacations (July 2013 - mid October 2013) - same as 1st address
- University 3rd year (mid October 2013 - Mid July 2014) - 3rd address (changed home)
- Summer vacations and autumn (Mid July 2014 - mid November 2014) - same as 1st address
- Working and university (mid November 2014 - until now) - 4th address (changed home)

Regarding 1st and 2nd address I rented apartment but I did not went to lawyer and do paperworks about renting the home. Regarding 4th address, I did paper works and in paper works it is says that I rented the apartment September 2014 until July 2015, but I have live in Vlora until November 2014. And how should I submit the addresses? Should I submit the same address?

2. And one other question. When I applied for DV Lottery I a photo that I took from 2 years ago. The same photo I sent to KCC after my father got selected for DV2014. Will this be a problem?

3. I don;t think that you hear the news but all Balkan people are going to Germany seeking for asylum. Hoping that they will get e better life. I was fooled and said to myself to go there and check it out. I stayed in Germany for 2 weeks, on asylum seekers German camp but I saw that it was a dead end and I applied to return to Albania. Willingly. When I asked the German officials if this was going to be a problem later if I apply as a student or as a work visa they told me that it is not going to be a problem. I do not know if this is going to be e problem at the embassy.

I am sorry if I took your time and I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

1. Forget vacation addresses - so simplify that a bit - think of you family address as being the main one and any other periods where you were there for long enough to change your mailing address for example at your bank.

2. No. Just take updated photos to the interview.

3. No issue.

@Britsimon , Thank you. :) And as for voting, my vote center is in Vlora, so officially my home address is in Vlora even though I have stayed in Tirana more than 3 years.

@vladek15425 , I'm sorry I did not understand. You mean about the photo? To match with what? With my face now. I think it is pretty much the same face. I'll just have to make to same haircut.

I think it was 230. I mailed it via DHL. I did not submitted it online. I think DV2014 was the last fiscal year that selectees had to submit the form and sent it via mail.

@Britsimon , Thank you. :) And as for voting, my vote center is in Vlora, so officially my home address is in Vlora even though I have stayed in Tirana more than 3 years.

@vladek15425 , I'm sorry I did not understand. You mean about the photo? To match with what? With my face now. I think it is pretty much the same face. I'll just have to make to same haircut.
Exactly my idea ;-)