• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV visa interview at the embassy (France example) and next steps

Shinobe

Hi everyone,

I recently had my DV visa issued by the US embassy in Paris, France. I just wanted to share my experience with you on what you should expect when you're lucky enough to reach that final step! Please keep in mind that it's my personal experience and that it may be very different in other embassies or depending on your personal situation.

I arrived at the embassy 20 minutes before my interview and been asked to wait outside on the opposite sidewalk of embassy entrance (with a lot of people). Security guards were just asking people to come over for security check depending on your interview time (so no need to stress or worry, you will definitely enter in time even if there are many people in front of you as many of them arrive hours before their actual interview).
Anyway, I passed a classical security check, just note that you're not allowed to bring laptop, computer or bags (they could even cancel your appointment if you do that). If you have your cellphone with you, you will have to turn it off and leave it to the security at the embassy entrance (that they will give you back when you get out of the embassy of course!).

Entering the embassy, you will show your printed DS-260 confirmation page, the original of your police record (I asked a more recent one just before the interview just in case, for French it's very convenient to get one on internet "Demande d'extrait de casier judiciaire (bulletin n°3)") and your passport.
Next step is to go pay the fees of 330$.
After that, you'll go to a counter where someone will check several documents. Documents where either in English or in French, so I believe that if the documents are in one of those 2 languages, you don't need a translation (if it's another language, I guess that you will need a certified English translation). Here is what he checked in my specific case (please, as explain everywhere, get ready with ANY documents needed or that seems relevant to you or for your case or for whatever situation!):
- My passport that he kept of course
- Two identical photos => be careful to respect photo requirements as explain on travel.state.gov ! => I did mine while in US few weeks before the interview, I believe you could find certified photographer in France that respect the requirements.
- Original of birth certificate (got that by mail after asked by internet, again very easy in France) => he kept it (I believe it's actually a certified copy of the original birth certificate that we have in France so I can't say for others)
- Originals and copies of my diplomas (in my case, a Master degree) => he checked my Baccalaureat diploma (sort of high school degree) also and keep the copy but didn't need the diploma "in-between" like Licence (bachelor degree) as my highest diploma was a Master degree (anyway, bring everything just in case)
- A proof of military service accomplished => we don't have a military service in France BUT we have what we call a "Journée d'appel à la nation" (a simple day about military options) where we got a proof letter showing that we have actually followed this day...big mistake, I didn't bring this proof letter with me as I completely forgot about that...he noted that and it turns out they didn't needed it in the end so I was good to go (BUT BRING IT WITH YOU, with a copy) => I believe it’s not mandatory for people aged 24 and more but that’s just me guessing (bring original and copy)...
- A copy of courier selection details that you got when you fill up the interview confirmation form on ais.usvisa-info.com => I didn't found it (while I had it in fact)....but it was just to review with me if I understood everything correctly about the shipment process in case I got the visa (so...of course, bring it with you !)
- In France, the medical records are sent directly to the embassy so it was already done => I pass my medical visit 2 days before the interview so they didn't receive the results at the time of the appointment (but they received the results the day after as my visa has been issued the very next day)
- And that's it! Again, I believe people around me where being asked more documents or verification as some of them where still here after I was done...so be prepared for everything :)

After that, you get a number for the next appointment, I guess they check a thing or two and not even 10 minutes later, I was received by another Consular Officer (CO). Very nice guy, speak English only, and ask me very basic questions. I was prepared to prove that I'm not a public charge with a I-134 form ready, bank accounts details, proof of employment in France, etc...but he never ask for such things ! Is this because you don't need to show that sort of proof with a Master degree? I don't know but 5 minutes later, he congratulates me for having been granted with a Green Card! They keep your passport with them and you can go back home and wait that they send you back the passport with the visa (depends if you ask for a direct shipment or to a mailbox when confirming the interview on ais.usvisa-info.com).

I have waited 15 days to get my passport with the visa (10 business days). In my case, they just told me that my passport and visa documents were available at the mailbox address (while I was expecting them to warn me when they have just ship it from the embassy). You will get the passport with the visa on one of the passport pages. It is a temporary i-551 visa (valid for 6 months) so not the Green Card ! You have to enter in the US to start your Green Card production (and receive it at your US address). Also, there is a sealed document that YOU MUST NOT OPENED...it is for the border when you enter in the US at a Port-Of-Entry (POE = airports, ports, etc...).

Next step is to pay the fees for producing your Green Card (220$) on their website. I did that before traveling to US. Everything is explained on a document given with the passport.

The day after getting the passport and visa, I flew to US. Nothing special at the border, just explained that you arrive for the first time with your temporary visa, give your sealed document and they will stamp your visa which will start the process of Green Card production.

Hope it will help some of you understanding and better anticipate the interview process. Should you have any questions, I will try my best to answer it and I know many people in this great forum will help.

Thanks, by the way, for this forum and good luck to everyone in the process! You will make it, be patient and chill :) in the end, this DV process is pretty straightforward and easy compare to what non-immigrant workers have to face when they’re in US !

Slight correction here re the temporary I-551 visa statement. The visa stamp as issued by the embassy IS NOT temporary I-551 visa valid for 6 months. It IS an immigrant visa valid for 6 months (or less in certain cases where the visa stamp gets issued long after the medical exam completion).

The immigrant visa subsequently becomes a temporary I-551 upon endorsement. Meaning it only becomes a temporary GC after being admitted as a LPR which is when the visa gets endorsed at the POE. It then effectively becomes a temporary I-551 valid for one year from the endorsed date.

So you didn't need to translate any of the documents that they ask? Neat! I was already worrying about that.

So you didn't need to translate any of the documents that they ask? Neat! I was already worrying about that.
In my case (US embassy in France), they accept any documents in French or in English so I believe that any document in the language of the country embassy is accepted. Any documents in another language needs a certified translation

Both, they need the original and a copy. You need to bring every original documents they ask for AND a copy of each
Yeah well im not sure if there is an "original", usually here in spain you ask for the birth certificate online and they mail it to your home and it has an expiration date (3 months), same goes for the police record so i guess i just need to order two copies of each document that they ask for.

Yeah well im not sure if there is an "original", usually here in spain you ask for the birth certificate online and they mail it to your home and it has an expiration date (3 months), same goes for the police record so i guess i just need to order two copies of each document that they ask for.
You can also order one copy and photo copy it. The version that gets mailed to you is regarded as the “official copy”. And as far as US immigration is concerned, birth certificates do not expire regardless of what is written on it. PCC is also valid for 2 years by the way.

Yes we have the exact same process in France (but no expiration date), you're right that what we have is actually a certified copy as explained by @Sm1smom

Hi Shinobe, did you happen to contact the Paris embassy at all either via email or phone? We urgently need to update our address as we are moving and we've sent emails and tried to call and no one is answering... Used this email address

Hi Shinobe, did you happen to contact the Paris embassy at all either via email or phone? We urgently need to update our address as we are moving and we've sent emails and tried to call and no one is answering... Used this email address
They don’t send anything to your physical address. you can update that when you get an interview.

They don’t send anything to your physical address. you can update that when you get an interview.
Hi SusieQQQ, we've had the interview but are currently in AP because of the NZ vetting certificate. It's now 4 weeks and our status on CEAC hasn't changed from the interview date. I realise it is just a matter of being patient but we are leaving our apartment in a few weeks and no one seems to be answering emails or phone calls to try and get this sorted.

Hi SusieQQQ, we've had the interview but are currently in AP because of the NZ vetting certificate. It's now 4 weeks and our status on CEAC hasn't changed from the interview date. I realise it is just a matter of being patient but we are leaving our apartment in a few weeks and no one seems to be answering emails or phone calls to try and get this sorted.
So is your issue that you are expecting the documents to be mailed, and that you are worried that they will arrive after you’ve left the apartment ?

So is your issue that you are expecting the documents to be mailed, and that you are worried that they will arrive after you’ve left the apartment ?
Yes exactly. We paid for the courier bags as we don't live near Paris to collect them

Yes exactly. We paid for the courier bags as we don't live near Paris to collect them
Can you contact the courier directly and make sure they will know what your new address is? (That’s the way we actually did it when I got my DV visa, but of course at a different embassy so not sure if it will work there)

I found this

it doesn’t exactly deal with your current issue but maybe you can pre-empt the potential non-delivery by using the email address below?

The Courier will attempt to deliver your package to the requested address. If your passport was returned to the courier service, you will be contacted upon reception of the returned passport in order to verify your address. If you are not contacted within 48 hours after the return date mentioned in the tracking system, please send an email to : fae_contactus+fr+courier+en@visaops.net. If the courier is unable to make a successful delivery, the courier will return your package to the originating consular section.

I found this

it doesn’t exactly deal with your current issue but maybe you can pre-empt the potential non-delivery by using the email address below?

The Courier will attempt to deliver your package to the requested address. If your passport was returned to the courier service, you will be contacted upon reception of the returned passport in order to verify your address. If you are not contacted within 48 hours after the return date mentioned in the tracking system, please send an email to : fae_contactus+fr+courier+en@visaops.net. If the courier is unable to make a successful delivery, the courier will return your package to the originating consular section.
Awesome!! Thanks Susie, this helps a lot

Maybe a little late to answer to your questions, but as @SusieQQQ mention, I did used the exact same e-mail address for courier (fae_contactus@visaops.net). They did also reply to my question when using ParisIVPending@state.gov (even though it wasn't really helpful tbh) and each time I tried by phone it was impossible to get them (just a robot that hang up the phone after 10 min :rolleyes:)