• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV Lottery Born in ineligible country, One Parent born in eligible country.

h1sucks

Registered Users (C)
If a person was born in a country whose natives are ineligible, but neither of his/her parents was born there or resided there at the time of the birth, such person may be able to claim nativity in one of the parents’ country of birth.

The above paragraph appears in the DV Lottery web page titled "INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE 2005 DIVERSITY IMMIGRANT VISA PROGRAM (DV-2005)". I am trying to understand the above paragraph in relation to my situation. If somebody can help me understand it better.

Here is my situation. My wife was born in India. At time of her birth, her father was a Mauritian (born in Mauritius) and Mother an Indian (born in India). Both studying in India and later came back to Mauritius. Can my wife apply for DV Lottery based on her fathers status.

h1sucks:
“My wife was born in India. At time of her birth, her father was a Mauritian (born in Mauritius) and Mother an Indian (born in India). Both studying in India and later came back to Mauritius. Can my wife apply for DV Lottery based on her fathers status”.
Response:
Depending on the situation, If your wife has changed her citizen to Mauritius then she is qualified otherwise eligibility is based on country of birth.

Okun,

thanks for the reply.
yes my wife is a Mauritian citizen.
That means she would be eligible to apply.

Yes

Your wife can apply as the primary applicant and put you as the spouse. Not to be negative, but the chances in DV are really minimal, there are more than a million applicants and only 50k get selected eventually. And the process takes more than a year. Good luck.

Life in the USA

Mr Tarantula,

Thanks for your comments.
I think that is why it is called a lottery.
we are not relying on the lottery.
Its just a chance, so why not take it.

I was not even thinking of applying at all, cause all
the time I thought my wife is not eligible. It's by chance I posted my question, and was thinking that answer would be in -tive.
But I took the chance and came out to be positive.

Thanks for your wishes. ;)