• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV LOTTERY 2023

Md Wang

I have three questions. My two brothers are twins, and they look very much alike on the photos, and have the same Surname and middle name. Actually almost everything on their details are the same except the first name. They have been making several attempts on the DV lottery each year; they have just applied for the DV 2023 hoping for the best this time. From all the information gathered, sometimes the system rejects same face detection and is treated as fraud. Do they still keep their hopes high on this?

Second question, the DV lottery says one can check status from May of next year to September of the following year. But this has never been the case. For instance, we tried checking for results of DV 2022 after May last year to this year in September but the link was not opening. Is there a very specific date when it is checked to avoid such a same scenario?

Third, can a photo size disqualify someone. When it is a Passport-size photo,very clear and white background. It doesn't show on the platform if the photo is the correct format or not before submitting. I just realized later after submitting; on a different forum that there is a photo tool that can check the size and pixels. Now, can one be selected even after such ? Or it is automatic rejection by the system ?

1. Don’t know

2. You must have been doing something wrong, because hundreds of thousands of applicants successfully checked their entries throughout this time every year. (In fact, it is the same website you enter on as check, what link is not working for you?)

3. Not sure I understand exactly what you’re asking but if the photo specs are wrong (pixels etc) the system won’t let you upload it in the entry. If it is something like background color that is the issue, that is at the discretion of the CO after selection.

For question 3, it succesfully uploaded in the entry. But after I discovered the Photo tool on a certain U.S platform, I doubted if the photo will be selected. Because from the tool it states something about the pixels but to me it looks pefectly fine. See attached.

• Image is overly compressed. Please use a compression ratio that is less than 20:1... This is what the tool says. Will this photo disqualify me? Already submitted today.

If that is your actual brother please delete the photo. You should not post personal things like this on a public forum.

I already answered that question.

For question 3, it succesfully uploaded in the entry. But after I discovered the Photo tool on a certain U.S platform, I doubted if the photo will be selected. Because from the tool it states something about the pixels but to me it looks pefectly fine. See attached.

• Image is overly compressed. Please use a compression ratio that is less than 20:1... This is what the tool says. Will this photo disqualify me? Already submitted today.
~~ Posted photo administratively deleted ~~
~Moderator~

There's a brief description of facial recognition done at the KCC here:

Now the Center does facial recognition to help provide secure borders for the United Sates and to prevent fraud. The Center reviews about 40 million facial recognition entries a year.

The employees at the Center who do facial recognition reach about 2,000 per day per person. It takes them about 18 to 20 seconds per face to decide if there are any matches.

Employee Kurt Marlow demonstrated how he reviews a face and the possible matches that show up on his computer screen.

First he looks at the ears and then looks at other features that cannot be easily changed such as space between the eyes, chin shape, eye shape, etc.

"Everyone has their own routine," he said noting that while 18 to 20 seconds is the ideal amount of time it should take to decide if there is a match, it is more important to do the job correctly.

"Once you spot a difference you can move on," James Jackson, operations manager, said.

Once employees like Marlow submit if there is a match to a face or not, then that's it, there is no going back to review it at the Center. However it does get sent to another agency who has more than just the photos the Center has to review. The next agency will also look at birth dates, etc.

It's not clear if this is how they actually screen DV entries though. KCC does other stuff. But if it is, it means that a human will look at the case if the computer flags it as a possible match. So I would remain hopeful - I don't know what else they can do anyway.

There's a brief description of facial recognition done at the KCC here:

It's not clear if this is how they actually screen DV entries though. KCC does other stuff. But if it is, it means that a human will look at the case if the computer flags it as a possible match. So I would remain hopeful - I don't know what else they can do anyway.
There’s something like 14-20m entries in DV every year, my understanding is the weeding out of duplicate photos before selection is entirely done by software. It sounds like this bit is to do with faces flagged for the security functions (non DV) at KCC - “Now the Center does facial recognition to help provide secure borders for the United Sates and to prevent fraud” at the top of the extract you quoted - but the article is not very clear (and apparently wasn’t even proofread, that typo comes from the original) …the article does note there are now over 400 employees at KCC but only 20 of them work on DV.

I don’t know where this information comes from but it is so complete and so detailed in how the image recognition programs and iterations work that it certainly sounds legit to me ‍[shrug] (And you all know I don’t say things like that lightly)

I also used the photo tool to check my picture before applying. The tool rejected the photo and the reason is "the picture is too compressed". The photo that was rejected is a scanned photo. By scanned photo I mean, I went to the studio got the pictures taken, they were printed and then I scanned them and saved on my computer. I tried again with a digital photo (never been printed) and the tool accepted it.

I don’t know where this information comes from but it is so complete and so detailed in how the image recognition programs and iterations work that it certainly sounds legit to me ‍[shrug] (And you all know I don’t say things like that lightly)

Wow, that's an incredible level of detail. I'd love to know where they got this from. I haven't gone through it in detail yet, but just skimming, this is worth noting:

However, the final decision is always made by a person.

In the KCC, for each winner, a case (case) is set up, where the submitted documents and the results of the checks are collected. If, according to the result of checking the photos, duplicates are found in the application (the suspicion that these are duplicates exceeds a certain amount), all these suspicious applications are also included in the case, an entry is made in the case description file, and a red label is pasted on the paper folder with the personal file with an indication of the reason.

The completed file is sent to the consular section where the interview will take place. During the interview, the consul will assess all the circumstances of the case, get acquainted with the results of checking the photographs and visually compare the found suspicious questionnaires, seeing in front of him a living person, the applicant

This kind of sounds to me like they're describing the same process. It sounds like we tentatively can break it into 3 stages:

1. When you submit the application, there has to be a photo that matches the dimensional requirements, or else it won't let you submit.

2. After submitting, the photo is automatically checked to make sure it meets the other photo rules: it has to be a human face, correct proportions, no shadows, no touch-up etc. If the software detects any of these issues, the case is disqualified, creating what @Britsimon calls a "hole" in the case numbers.

3. If the software flags multiple photos as the same person, they are all examined by someone at the KCC, and if they're determined not to be the same person it's resolved then and there. Otherwise, it's resolved by the consular officer.

Number 2 in particular is interesting, because you could easily submit a photo that is close to the right proportions etc., but fail the automated check and never know about it.

Wow, that's an incredible level of detail. I'd love to know where they got this from. I haven't gone through it in detail yet, but just skimming, this is worth noting:

This kind of sounds to me like they're describing the same process. It sounds like we tentatively can break it into 3 stages:

1. When you submit the application, there has to be a photo that matches the dimensional requirements, or else it won't let you submit.

2. After submitting, the photo is automatically checked to make sure it meets the other photo rules: it has to be a human face, correct proportions, no shadows, no touch-up etc. If the software detects any of these issues, the case is disqualified, creating what @Britsimon calls a "hole" in the case numbers.

3. If the software flags multiple photos as the same person, they are all examined by someone at the KCC, and if they're determined not to be the same person it's resolved then and there. Otherwise, it's resolved by the consular officer.

Number 2 in particular is interesting, because you could easily submit a photo that is close to the right proportions etc., but fail the automated check and never know about it.
Number 3 was actually the most interesting to me because I’ve heard of a case denied at interview for suspicion of duplicate entries, whereas I’d thought previously that all such would be holes. (And in fact gave this incorrect opinion in a post above, so apologies )
But the bottom line of this for OP is that in fact their twin brothers should be fine with getting through selection if the duplicates are only flagged for adjudication by a CO - important to realize that there is neither automatic software disqualification nor does KCC administratively disqualify on this basis.

'the picture is too compressed'

I think this message comes up when you try to upload a photo, which is saved from online sources (if you save photo on your desktop from Facebook for example).
If you upload an original photo, it will be accepted.

Also, there is already a thread for DV-2023, there's no need to open a new one for each question @OP

ok sorry it said you can't be selected for interview if in your entry you posted the same photo last year
i meant to say when is when you complete the entry to submit an application one year and you don't get in and the next year you do it with the same photo can you be eligible to submit documents and then go to the interview?

Dreamoneoneone

According to rules photo must be taken within 6 months. So photo from year ago is not good, especially if it was used for previous entry.

Now, someone might tell you that they've used old photos and got their visas. But rules are rules and you can be rejected at the interview for breaking them.

Dreamoneoneone

According to rules photo must be taken within 6 months. So photo from year ago is not good, especially if it was used for previous entry.

Now, someone might tell you that they've used old photos and got their visas. But rules are rules and you can be rejected at the interview for breaking them.
but do they check before the interview or is the check automated?