• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV entry and ESTA Query

Hello,

I want your opinion on this. Has this ever happened to anybody?

Is it an issue that I entered the DV lottery and then visit the US on ESTA?

I can't post the link here but I read some posts on a website by a claimed cbp officer "the man in blue" who said that the officers can see if you entered the lottery and that could get you referred to secondary inspection.

What if I get asked: you entered the lottery so you had immigrant intent?

This "man in blue" kept saying that the officers lie and trick to travelers to get them to say something comprising like he said he asks the same question 3 times.

Also in another website, i don't remember where, a US citizen wrote that he got sent to secondary and told that if he didn't open his phone they wouldn't let him enter the US which is a lie but the US citizen believed that.

So since these officers lie and trick even their own citizens, if they find out I entered the lottery or if I reply yes if they ask, I'd reply yes because there's no point in saying the contrary, what can I do?

They'd probably lie and tell me the entry shows immigrant intent.

While there are some great stories about government officials on power trips, you should probably stop reading about them and getting yourself worried. Entry in the lottery doesn't qualify as immigrant intent.

Entering the lottery is not seen as showing immigrant intent, filling in the DS-260 once you have won the lottery is ... and even with that being the case I entered the US several times on an ESTA after I submitted my DS-260, I even at one point had to renew my ESTA and did so without issue

So many scare stories around. Entering the DV lottery is not immigrant intent. I’ve visited the US not just after entering (for a few years) but even after being selected (still not immigrant intent) and submitting my DS forms (the point at which you show immigrant intent). Even after that I never got questions about it on any of those entries.

24 million people enter the lottery annually. I promise you CBP has better things to do than pull them all into secondary.

Btw a court has just ruled that CBP officers may not check your phones without a warrant.

So many scare stories around. Entering the DV lottery is not immigrant intent. I’ve visited the US not just after entering (for a few years) but even after being selected (still not immigrant intent) and submitting my DS forms (the point at which you show immigrant intent). Even after that I never got questions about it on any of those entries.

24 million people enter the lottery annually. I promise you CBP has better things to do than pull them all into secondary.

Btw a court has just ruled that CBP officers may not check your phones without a warrant.

Definitely so many stories out there that make me sweat. I know there are cbp officers on a power trip but this"man in blue" put a chip on my shoulder. I'll probably faint in front of the booth hahah. Thanks for telling me about cbp needing a warrant to search phones.

For more details on Diversity Visa you may read this post for reference:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely so many stories out there that make me sweat. I know there are cbp officers on a power trip but this"man in blue" put a chip on my shoulder. I'll probably faint in front of the booth hahah. Thanks for telling me about cbp needing a warrant to search phones.

You have absolutely no proof that some dude on the internet is who he says he is. It seems to me there is a sudden upswell of scare stories this year, worse than a usual year.

Phone story here https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/13/politics/border-searches-electronics-unconstitutional/index.html
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...earch-your-phone-at-the-airport-for-no-reason