• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV-2025 at risk due to presidential election?

azatinusa

Hi. I was watching one of the popular immigration lawyers on YouTube who hosts live questions. In response to one caller, he noted that if Trump is elected in Nov and takes office in late Jan, that processing of DV-2025 cases after that point are at huge risk. He thinks CP cases will die altogether while AOS cases may have a chance.

What are people’s thoughts on this? If you haven’t made the DV admin fee payment yet (or submitted DS-260), does this influence you to speed-up or slow down your plan? Especially if you believe your CN won’t become current until Spring/Summer 2025….

Surely the best predictor is what happened last time he was president, where he found an excuse for a ’muslim ban’ but also discovered he didn’t have the legal authority to suspend the DV program.

im not clear about the part of your question about “speeding up” or “slowing down” though, you have no control over when your case number becomes current, which is what the deterministic item is for DV.

Surely the best predictor is what happened last time he was president, where he found an excuse for a ’muslim ban’ but also discovered he didn’t have the legal authority to suspend the DV program.

im not clear about the part of your question about “speeding up” or “slowing down” though, you have no control over when your case number becomes current, which is what the deterministic item is for DV.
What I mean by speed up or slow down is this:

Scenario 1: Trump begins to enforce suspension of processing of all DV cases. If I believe this, I will wait to pay the DV fee and wait to submit the DS260 (so I don’t waste money or trigger immigrant unnecessarily).

Scenario 2: Trump begins to suspend only cases not in progress (not in progress means not submitted payment or form). If I believe this, I will not wait to pay the fee and not wait to submit DS260 (so I’m in the “in-progress” bucket when this change is made).

Scenario 3. Trump suspends only CP cases but allows AOS cases. If I believe this, I will try to follow the AOS track somehow.

My main point is, us DV winners have something to worry about and some should start planning alternative routes….maybe not execute those plans, but starting thinking about it seriously to save their green card.

Well, you have two compound hypotheticals you’re basing it on. Your selection, your choice I guess.

as for your scenarios, again, I suggest you look at what actually happened last time he was president to see how realistic they may or may not be IF the two hypotheticals you are worried about both come to pass.

[Reposting here as this thread is better suited as correctly pointed out]

Hi all,

Just starting the discussion given that I have no deep understanding of the legislative system in the USA.

Realistically speaking, how soon could Trump, or whoever is the next US president, cancel or severely affect DV-2025? I have a relatively high number which means that in the event of Trump winning the election there is a lot of time to massively impact the program.

Also, what happened on the previous term? Why wasn’t Trump allowed to end the program?

Also, what happened on the previous term? Why wasn’t Trump allowed to end the program?
the diversity visa program is enacted in law as part of the INA. In the US, presidents generally do not have broad authority to change laws as and when they decide to do so.

Hi. I was watching one of the popular immigration lawyers on YouTube who hosts live questions. In response to one caller, he noted that if Trump is elected in Nov and takes office in late Jan, that processing of DV-2025 cases after that point are at huge risk. He thinks CP cases will die altogether while AOS cases may have a chance.

What are people’s thoughts on this? If you haven’t made the DV admin fee payment yet (or submitted DS-260), does this influence you to speed-up or slow down your plan? Especially if you believe your CN won’t become current until Spring/Summer 2025….
An immigration lawyer scaring people and suggesting more people should do AOS. I wonder why that could be....

Was it Jim Hacking by any chance? Episode 605

Scenario 3. Trump suspends only CP cases but allows AOS cases. If I believe this, I will try to follow the AOS track somehow.
I'm lost...Could someone please explain this point for me. Why'd they suspend only CP and not AOS? what's the logic behind that

Was it Jim Hacking by any chance? Episode 605
Yes, multiple episodes now. Not about actually stopping anything by law, but rather throwing roadblocks like reassigning USCIS staff to work on other stuff rather than DV cases. Effectively slowing it down to a trickle.

He's not scaring anyone to anything, except maybe to vote differently.
You’d be hard pressed to find a US citizen whose voting decision is going to depend on whether or not DV cases get scheduled at consulates. There are many other decision points that are way more important.

You’d be hard pressed to find a US citizen whose voting decision is going to depend on whether or not DV cases get scheduled at consulates. There are many other decision points that are way more important.
Well, it was in the broader context of U.S. immigration policies in general, not specifically only DV cases.

Well, it was in the broader context of U.S. immigration policies in general, not specifically only DV cases.
Not much difference in the outcome imo. Plenty other scary potential policies to worry about.
i do agree with britsimon though about the lawyer’s incentive, as they seem to often try convince people that even the simplest AOS cases need legal help, but they can make no money out of consular cases.

Not much difference in the outcome imo. Plenty other scary potential policies to worry about.
i do agree with britsimon though about the lawyer’s incentive, as they seem to often try convince people that even the simplest AOS cases need legal help, but they can make no money out of consular cases.
And they are often not well-informed on simple DV things. The YouTube lawyer mentioned above recently gave incorrect information to a DV-2025 CP winner that he definitively cannot file DS260 before Oct 1, 2024. Mom, Susie, and Brit are what anybody needs. I’m thankful to them!