• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2024 AOS (Adjustment of Status) Process Only

Sm1smom

Super Moderator
Congratulations on your selection for DV 2024.

This Thread is intended for DV 2024 selectees currently based in the US who wish to proceed with their selection by processing AOS (Adjustment of Status).

The AOS process may initially seem complicated and confusing; and you probably have a gazillion questions to ask. But before you start doing so, please take some time and go through the AOS Process Spreadsheet (link below). It has a step by step guide on DV based AOS process. If you have follow up questions AFTER going through the spreadsheet, then feel free to post them on this Thread.

Be sure to also take advantage of the DV 2024 Timeline Spreadsheet for tracking your progress once you get started. Don't wait until you've completed the process before updating the spreadsheet, updating it as you progress along will be helpful to you and your fellow AOSers.

DISCLAIMER:
The spreadsheet is a GUIDE based on collections of experience - it is not USCIS sanctioned (but definitely more detailed than any information you can get directly from USCIS - either in person or on the phone). It is also a lot more reliable than what you will get from most immigration attorneys. However, please remember, while you may be relying on this spreadsheet and the subsequent guidance you will get in this forum free of charge, you're still personally responsible for your own case at the end of the day.

Good luck!

Link to AOS Process Spreadsheet
Link to DV 2024 AOS Timeline Spreadsheet

NOTE:
DS260 form submission is not compulsory for AOSers, however, submitting it is encouraged/recommended. And if you're wondering "how do I complete the DS260 form"? Completing the DS260 for DV lottery entrants by Simon is your go to source.

Last edited:
Hello, I am from Denmark and have a case number EU58XXX. I am currently in the US studying on an F1 visa and would like to do AOS unless my case number is too high. I have some questions:

1. Should I submit the DS-260? I assume this signifies immigration intent. I am a little concerned about whether this is a good idea or not because my case number may be too high (see the next question). If my case number is too high, I might not even reach the point of having an interview scheduled. In that case, having demonstrated immigration intent means I can no longer apply for F1-OPT/CPT or extend my F1 visa, and the likelihood of me winning the lottery was maybe almost negligible to begin with
  2. Is my case number likely to be very high for the EU region? I looked at the visa bulletins from the past 10 years, and it seems someone getting a green card has most likely never had a case number above 30XXX, whereas mine is almost 20k higher.
  3. Does it matter which country I am from? Does being from Denmark make my chances more or less likely?

Last edited:
Hi I was selected. 2024OC00004XXX
Given the following; 1) I am currently working 2) I am returning home for 3 weeks over Christmas 2023 3) my current E3 expires 31 March 2024. Would you suggest AOS or CP is the best option for me?

Thanks in advance!

Hello, I am from Denmark and have a case number EU58XXX. I am currently in the US studying on an F1 visa and would like to do AOS unless my case number is too high. I have some questions:

1. Should I submit the DS-260? I assume this signifies immigration intent. I am a little concerned about whether this is a good idea or not because my case number may be too high (see the next question). If my case number is too high, I might not even reach the point of having an interview scheduled. In that case, having demonstrated immigration intent means I can no longer apply for F1-OPT/CPT or extend my F1 visa, and the likelihood of me winning the lottery was maybe almost negligible to begin with
  2. Is my case number likely to be very high for the EU region? I looked at the visa bulletins from the past 10 years, and it seems someone getting a green card has most likely never had a case number above 30XXX, whereas mine is almost 20k higher.
  3. Does it matter which country I am from? Does being from Denmark make my chances more or less likely?
1. Don’t be in a rush to submit the DS260 form if you’re processing AOS. Rather, spend the time now to understand the steps involved with processing AOS to enhance your understanding of the process and ensure you’re in a good place (well prepared) when it’s time to file for AOS. So spend some quality time going through the AOS Process Spreadsheet referenced in the first post of this thread.

2. I don’t know. You however might want to go through Simon’s blog where he recently addressed reported huge CNs for the 2023 FY:

3. Your being from Denmark plays no role at this point

Hi I was selected. 2024OC00004XXX
Given the following; 1) I am currently working 2) I am returning home for 3 weeks over Christmas 2023 3) my current E3 expires 31 March 2024. Would you suggest AOS or CP is the best option for me?

Thanks in advance!
This is a personal choice you’ll need to make on your own. Review the pros and cons of each potion - this is covered on the AOS Process Spreadsheet referenced in the first post on this thread.

Hi,

I have a high OC41xx case number for Oceania region.

I have a similar question to the one who posted first on this chat. I am also on a non immigrant visa currently living in the USA and it seems to me that the least risky choice in this situation is only to submit an AOS if the number ever comes up.

I do not wish to submit a ds260 at all if it can be helped. It seems that the negatives of doing so severely outweighs any positives as it’s not even required to be submitted when adjusting for status. If anything went wrong with the application, for example visas running out/too late a submission (and it seems this year the lottery could have been overdrawn) then basically I have shown immigrant intent through the ds260 and would probably never get another NIV renewed again and be forced to leave the country upon non immigrant visa expiration.

Am I wrong in this assumption?

Hi,

I have a similar question to the one who posted first on this chat. I am also on a non immigrant visa currently living in the USA and it seems to me that the least risky choice in this situation is only to submit an AOS if the number ever comes up.

I do not wish to submit a ds260 at all if it can be helped. It seems that the negatives of doing so severely outweighs any positives as it’s not even required to be submitted when adjusting for status. If anything went wrong with the application, for example visas running out/too late a submission (and it seems this year the lottery could have been overdrawn) then basically I have shown immigrant intent through the ds260 and would probably never get another NIV renewed again and be forced to leave the country upon non immigrant visa expiration.

Correct. DS260 submission for AOS is optional. The same response already provided to that same first question you’ve referenced is equally applicable to you situation in that case.

Correct. DS260 submission for AOS is optional. The same response already provided to that same first question you’ve referenced is equally applicable to you situation in that case.
Thank you for the quick response. I have read that if a submission is denied through adjustment of status you simply revert back to your pre existing NIV. Is this correct too?

I'm concerned about my case number 2024OC46xx, is it worth filing for AOS given the expense? I also think CP is too risky as filing for a DS260 would be detrimental to my ability of obtaining an E3 next year when my current E3 expires.

It is worth noting I am currently employed in the US in a skilled profession and I have a passport. Any guidance would be very much appreciated.

Hi,

Are you able to explain what you mean by case number coming up? and how is this tracked? I am in a similar boat with OC46XX

Apologies if this is a dumb question, this is my first time.

Thank you for the quick response. I have read that if a submission is denied through adjustment of status you simply revert back to your pre existing NIV. Is this correct too?
That is correct if you never violated your current status while the AOS application was pending.

I'm concerned about my case number 2024OC46xx, is it worth filing for AOS given the expense? I also think CP is too risky as filing for a DS260 would be detrimental to my ability of obtaining an E3 next year when my current E3 expires.

It is worth noting I am currently employed in the US in a skilled profession and I have a passport. Any guidance would be very much appreciated.
Please go through the AOS Process Spreadsheet as a first step. There’s a section dealing with the pros and cons of AOS vs CP. The spreadsheet contains the basic guidelines/guidance for going through the AOS process.

Hi, thanks a lot for your response. I am looking at the tab titled 'AOS Process' in the AOS Process and Documents_Updated spreadsheet.

1. Is it correctly understood that step 4 (receive the email from KCC confirming your intention to do AOS (2nd NL)) only happens if I submit a DS-260 form?
2. In my case, with an extremely high CN, and me being on a non-immigrant F1 visa, I should basically wait until the Visa Bulletin shows my number becoming current before I take any action at all? And in the moment that my CN becomes current I could do step 5 and onward (and possibly not submit the DS-260 together with my application?)? So no payment or anything prior to my CN becomes current in the Visa Bulletin?
3. Will the Visa Bulletin start showing us what numbers are current before FY2024? Or do we wait until August/September?

Last edited:
Hi, thanks a lot for your response. I am looking at the tab titled 'AOS Process' in the AOS Process spreadsheet.

1. Is it correctly understood that step 4 (receive the email from KCC confirming your intention to do AOS (2nd NL)) only happens if I submit a DS-260 form?
2. In my case, with an extremely high CN, and me being on a non-immigrant F1 visa, I should basically wait until the Visa Bulletin shows my number becoming current before I take any action at all? And in the moment that my CN becomes current I could do step 5 and onward (and possibly not submit the DS-260 together with my application?)? So no payment or anything prior to my CN being current in the Visa Bulletin?
3. Will the Visa Bulletin start showing us what numbers are current before FY2024? Or do we wait until August/September?
Excellent question, and one that I would really appreciate an answer to as I don’t believe the current materials address this situation.

Thanks

Hi, thanks a lot for your response. I am looking at the tab titled 'AOS Process' in the AOS Process and Documents_Updated spreadsheet.

2. In my case, with an extremely high CN, and me being on a non-immigrant F1 visa, I should basically wait until the Visa Bulletin shows my number becoming current before I take any action at all? And in the moment that my CN becomes current I could do step 5 and onward (and possibly not submit the DS-260 together with my application?)? So no payment or anything prior to my CN becomes current in the Visa Bulletin?
1. Take a look at the FAQ section of the AOS Process Spreadsheet.
2. No, not necessarily do basically nothing until your CN becomes current. Yes, you could file for AOS without submitting the DS260 form. I’m sure the spreadsheet doesn’t say no payment or anything prior to the CN becoming current. I recommend you read it again.
3. Yes. The FY starts in October, the August VB will begin displaying CNs current in October.

1. Take a look at the FAQ section of the AOS Process Spreadsheet.
2. No, not necessarily do basically nothing until your CN becomes current. Yes, you could file for AOS without submitting the DS260 form. I’m sure the spreadsheet doesn’t say no payment or anything prior to the CN becoming current. I recommend you read it again.
3. Yes. The FY starts in October, the August VB will begin displaying CNs current in October.
Thanks. I took a careful look at the spreadsheet (both AOS FAQs and AOS Process). I am a little confused with the timeline. What do you recommend I do as next steps (high EU CN & non-immigrant visa that I'd like not to jeopardize unless it becomes realistic that I can actually get a diversity lottery visa)? You mentioned that I shouldn't basically do nothing until my CN becomes current - then what should I do? Do you recommend I pay DV administrative fee long before my CN becomes current (I suppose this could theoretically speed the process up by a couple of days as I'd need to wait for a receipt for this also)? I suppose another thing I could do would be to gather supporting documents and find a Medical Exam location? Anything else I've missed from the AOS Process sheet? Otherwise I'll just check the visa bulletin every month and hope that somehow my number becomes current?

Slightly off-topic: Do you have any experience with folks from EU with high CNs actually getting a diversity lottery visa? I've been searching all over the internet, and consensus seems that many don't get to the interview phase when their CN is very high ... so I guess that's the reality I'm facing.

Thanks. I took a careful look at the spreadsheet (both AOS FAQs and AOS Process). I am a little confused with the timeline. What do you recommend I do as next steps (high EU CN & non-immigrant visa that I'd like not to jeopardize unless it becomes realistic that I can actually get a diversity lottery visa)? You mentioned that I shouldn’t basically do nothing until my CN becomes current - then what should I do? Do you recommend I pay DV administrative fee long before my CN becomes current (I suppose this could theoretically speed the process up by a couple of days as I'd need to wait for a receipt for this also)? I suppose another thing I could do would be to gather supporting documents and find a Medical Exam location? Anything else I've missed from the AOS Process sheet? Otherwise I'll just check the visa bulletin every month and hope that somehow my number becomes current?

Slightly off-topic: Do you have any experience with folks from EU with high CNs actually getting a diversity lottery visa? I've been searching all over the internet, and consensus seems that many don't get to the interview phase when their CN is very high ... so I guess that's the reality I'm facing.
1. IF YOU HAVE A RATHER HIGH CN, YOU MAY WANT TO WAIT UNTIL YOU'RE CERTAIN OF THE LIKELYHOOD OF YOUR CN BECOMING CURRENT BEFORE MAKING THE $330 DV ADMINISTRATIVE FEE PAYMENT OR DOING THE MEDICAL EXAM

Above is what the spreadsheet says. Meaning, if your CN is on the high side, keep watching the VB to see CN progression. If it seems like your CN may become current in the next one or two months based on the observed trend, then you may want to go ahead and make the payment then. However if you prefer to wait until your CN actually becomes current before making the payment, you may equally do that as long as you’re aware it may take several weeks to receive the payment receipt which may further delay when you get to send in your AOS package. It’s a judgment call you’ll have to make as to when to make the payment or do your medical exam. Also while waiting, begin to gather your applicable documents if they’re not readily available to you.

2. It depends on your definition of what constitutes a high CN. Yes, there are several supposedly high CNs (EU and other regions) who successfully completed the process after their CNs became current. For this year, I don’t think we know the overall number of selectees at this point in order to hazard a guess as to of a CN is super high or not. We also don’t know (for now) of the applicable holes there may be - we wouldn’t know about the holes until sometime in January at the earliest. So for now, keep reading and learning about the process as against worrying about your CN being high or not.

Did you go through Simon’s blog re huge CNs which I referenced earlier on? You can also go through Simon’s article on holes theory by the way (your CN may end up not being as high as you think, who knows?)

Hello,

I am currently in the United States on an F-1 visa and was recently informed about my selection in the Diversity Visa (DV) program. I have a few questions and would appreciate any guidance you can provide.

1. My case number is 66xxx, and I am hopeful that it will become current by June 2024. Have you come across instances where individuals from the European Union have obtained a green card with a case number as high as mine?
  2. As for the next steps, I am not yet planning to complete the DS-260 form. However, I am unsure if there is another form I should submit or a fee I should pay to confirm my intent to proceed with the Adjustment of Status. Could you please advise on this matter?
  3. Lastly, I would like to know if the second notification letter (2NL) from the Kentucky Consular Center (KCC) is sent only after I submit the DS-260 form?
Thank you for your assistance.

Hello,

I am currently in the United States on an F-1 visa and was recently informed about my selection in the Diversity Visa (DV) program. I have a few questions and would appreciate any guidance you can provide.

1. My case number is 66xxx, and I am hopeful that it will become current by June 2024. Have you come across instances where individuals from the European Union have obtained a green card with a case number as high as mine?
  2. As for the next steps, I am not yet planning to complete the DS-260 form. However, I am unsure if there is another form I should submit or a fee I should pay to confirm my intent to proceed with the Adjustment of Status. Could you please advise on this matter?
  3. Lastly, I would like to know if the second notification letter (2NL) from the Kentucky Consular Center (KCC) is sent only after I submit the DS-260 form?
Thank you for your assistance.
1. We’ve not seen an EU66xxx before, however we cannot say for now if that CN is indeed as high as it seems - we should hopefully have a better insight around January 2024.
2&3. Please go through the AOS Process Spreadsheet.

Hello everyone. I got selected and I'm from Europe and currently studying in the States(F1 Visa). Is the AOS better process for me. Also, my case number is 44xxx, does that mean that I have small chances for the interview?