• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 Winners Meet Here

captain23

Member
Might be this is a cultural thing, yet we certainly would have raised hell with the CO at the time of the interview if somebody would have dared to doubt the lineage of one of our children. Yet, it is what it is, he has the detailed DNA testing instructions available from DOS website, interesting in case we'd hear back how they will fare...
Finally I got a mail from the AABB lab that I choose to do a DNA test for my son & I.........."CAPTAIN 23 is not excluded as biological father of captain junior.
probability of paternity - 99.99%".
Hard copies of the test were shipped to the consulate in Nairobi.
My nightmare is almost coming to an END.
 

SusieQQQ

Well-Known Member
Finally I got a mail from the AABB lab that I choose to do a DNA test for my son & I.........."CAPTAIN 23 is not excluded as biological father of captain junior.
probability of paternity - 99.99%".
Hard copies of the test were shipped to the consulate in Nairobi.
My nightmare is almost coming to an END.

Hopefully they don't make you wait too long now!
 

tash17

New Member
I am in a dilemma right now. My husband whom I married and added after my DV win was in the UK visiting family and applied for a visa extension months back and his passport is stuck there and system seems grossly incompetent and at this point not sure when he will get it back. We will be current in June and I live in the US but flying back for CP which I did to allow us to interview together. So in the worst case scenario if he doesn’t get his passport back in time for interviews in June, how do i navigate that situation?? (some people went more than 8months without passport return). We are both in panic mode right now and I don’t wanna risk losing my visa for that reason.
 

EmilyW

Well-Known Member
If you want the US visa, you need that passport back. You'll have to decide what is more important: the UK visa or the US visa.
 

EURO2014

Well-Known Member
I am in a dilemma right now. My husband whom I married and added after my DV win was in the UK visiting family and applied for a visa extension months back and his passport is stuck there and system seems grossly incompetent and at this point not sure when he will get it back. We will be current in June and I live in the US but flying back for CP which I did to allow us to interview together. So in the worst case scenario if he doesn’t get his passport back in time for interviews in June, how do i navigate that situation?? (some people went more than 8months without passport return). We are both in panic mode right now and I don’t wanna risk losing my visa for that reason.
Just to clarify: who is holding your husband's passport in the UK - the US Consulate in London for US visa extension or British Immigration Authorities for EU visa? Will the DV CP interview be with the US Consulate in London? Maybe it's me, but I wasn't sure from your posting about the specific circumstances.
 

SusieQQQ

Well-Known Member
Just to clarify: who is holding your husband's passport in the UK - the US Consulate in London for US visa extension or British Immigration Authorities for EU visa? Will the DV CP interview be with the US Consulate in London? Maybe it's me, but I wasn't sure from your posting about the specific circumstances.

Wasn't clear to me either, also implies they have been apart for months on end which could cause problems with establishing that the marriage is genuine, as they will need to do with it happening after selection.
 

tash17

New Member
Wasn't clear to me either, also implies they have been apart for months on end which could cause problems with establishing that the marriage is genuine, as they will need to do with it happening after selection.
I am sorry if I failed to make this much clearer. Im writing all this in stress mode. Ok so my hubby and I had been dating for years long distance, him in Africa, me in the US and got engaged then I won the DV and we decided to get married since it did make sense to do it then than after DV is done. We live in different countries currently because we are waiting for the process to be done for him to move here and this is no sham, we are two people in love and can back tht up. We are in AF region and whilst waiting he was with family on a UK visitors visa and he decided to extend it for a few more months. So it is the UK visa extension dept holding it back and contacting them has been a pain. They keep saying processing. Process was supposed to take 10days and its been 4 months and online forums suggest thats what they seem to do, longest i saw being abt 10mths, which is rather ridiculous. So right now he once to withdraw extension and get passport back coz really its been too long and he doesnt wanna be there anymore. Thats were my issue comes in. Even if he withdraws there is no guarantee he will get passport back in the 10days they say, for all we know it could be another few months (sawsuch cases on the forums too). This is the worst case scenario, my question is, what would I do in tht case? I dont trust the UK system anymore and scared we are not gonna get the passbort bk in time. Im the primary applicant and want to proceed with things, we are current in June and interview in Africa and dont wanna lose out on the visa for that reason. Could I interview alone and his set at a different date? Let me know if i need to clarify further.
 
Last edited:

EmilyW

Well-Known Member
You need to have his passport if he wants to be issued a visa. Contact the UK authorities and request it back.
 

SusieQQQ

Well-Known Member
I am sorry if I failed to make this much clearer. Im writing all this in stress mode. Ok so my hubby and I had been dating for years long distance, him in Africa, me in the US and got engaged then I won the DV and we decided to get married since it did make sense to do it then than after DV is done. We live in different countries currently because we are waiting for the process to be done for him to move here and this is no sham, we are two people in love and can back tht up. We are in AF region and whilst waiting he was with family on a UK visitors visa and he decided to extend it for a few more months. So it is the UK visa extension dept holding it back and contacting them has been a pain. They keep saying processing. Process was supposed to take 10days and its been 4 months and online forums suggest thats what they seem to do, longest i saw being abt 10mths, which is rather ridiculous. So right now he once to withdraw extension and get passport back coz really its been too long and he doesnt wanna be there anymore. Thats were my issue comes in. Even if he withdraws there is no guarantee he will get passport back in the 10days they say, for all we know it could be another few months (sawsuch cases on the forums too). This is the worst case scenario, my question is, what would I do in tht case? I dont trust the UK system anymore and scared we are not gonna get the passbort bk in time. Im the primary applicant and want to proceed with things, we are current in June and interview in Africa and dont wanna lose out on the visa for that reason. Could I interview alone and his set at a different date? Let me know if i need to clarify further.

Well to be fair the official guidance says 8 weeks,not 10 days for UK visa extension, and does caution it could be longer if it is a complicated application https://www.gov.uk/standard-visitor-visa/extend-your-visa
Nevertheless it's clearly been a lot longer than normal applications take and you should definitely request it back. Your other option is to interview alone and then sponsor him as a spouse of a green card holder, which is much longer and more expensive.
 

tash17

New Member
Well to be fair the official guidance says 8 weeks,not 10 days for UK visa extension, and does caution it could be longer if it is a complicated application https://www.gov.uk/standard-visitor-visa/extend-your-visa
Nevertheless it's clearly been a lot longer than normal applications take and you should definitely request it back. Your other option is to interview alone and then sponsor him as a spouse of a green card holder, which is much longer and more expensive.
Thank you. He withdrew the application and asked for documents back, now just praying he gets it back in a timely manner.
 

rewilder

New Member
The application cannot be done on the spot at the POE. However there's no law that says you can send out the application on your very first day of being a LPR.

Dear Sm1smom, sorry to abuse of your kindness. I have a few more questions regarding filing the re entry.
1. did you mean "there's no law that say you CAN'T send out the application..."?
2. is there any other way to file the re entry application rather than regular mail?
3. To the best of your knowledge, how long will I have to stay in the worst case scenario before I get the fingerprints and biometrics done?
3. About my first nights in US. Is it mandatory to spend them in the address specified or can I stay anywhere else?

thank you enormously for any help you may provide.
 

Sm1smom

Super Moderator
Dear Sm1smom, sorry to abuse of your kindness. I have a few more questions regarding filing the re entry.
1. did you mean "there's no law that say you CAN'T send out the application..."?
2. is there any other way to file the re entry application rather than regular mail?
3. To the best of your knowledge, how long will I have to stay in the worst case scenario before I get the fingerprints and biometrics done?
3. About my first nights in US. Is it mandatory to spend them in the address specified or can I stay anywhere else?

thank you enormously for any help you may provide.

1. Yes
2. It has to be mailed in AFAIK. The requirement is for the petition to be submitted from within the US, to guard against someone who has stayed out longer than necessary without initially applying from trying to game the process/system.
3. No. You can stay anywhere.
 

EURO2014

Well-Known Member
I am sorry if I failed to make this much clearer. Im writing all this in stress mode. Ok so my hubby and I had been dating for years long distance, him in Africa, me in the US and got engaged then I won the DV and we decided to get married since it did make sense to do it then than after DV is done. We live in different countries currently because we are waiting for the process to be done for him to move here and this is no sham, we are two people in love and can back tht up. We are in AF region and whilst waiting he was with family on a UK visitors visa and he decided to extend it for a few more months. So it is the UK visa extension dept holding it back and contacting them has been a pain. They keep saying processing. Process was supposed to take 10days and its been 4 months and online forums suggest thats what they seem to do, longest i saw being abt 10mths, which is rather ridiculous. So right now he once to withdraw extension and get passport back coz really its been too long and he doesnt wanna be there anymore. Thats were my issue comes in. Even if he withdraws there is no guarantee he will get passport back in the 10days they say, for all we know it could be another few months (sawsuch cases on the forums too). This is the worst case scenario, my question is, what would I do in tht case? I dont trust the UK system anymore and scared we are not gonna get the passbort bk in time. Im the primary applicant and want to proceed with things, we are current in June and interview in Africa and dont wanna lose out on the visa for that reason. Could I interview alone and his set at a different date? Let me know if i need to clarify further.
Thank you for the clarification. Just a few points from my end:
a) Yes, you should have both passports in hand when you go to the interview. Otherwise either of two things may happen: worst case, he may not receive entry into the US Consulate and/or your husband will be put on AP and your case on hold.
b) You will need to attend the interview together. Where will you be interviewing? Is the US Consulate located in your country of birth/place of origin?
c) You will need to build a very strong case concerning the validity of your marriage for DV/IV purposes. Please be aware that this, more likely than not, will be a hurdle you will need to overcome at the interview. Your chances of success will inter alia rest on the specific US Consulate, the CO deciding your case and the strength of the case you will be presenting.
Very best of luck to both of you!
 

tash17

New Member
I will be current for June. I currently live in the US but will be doing CP in AF region since I included my new husband and we need to interview together. I am not sure if they will ask me for past tax returns but currently I am trying to file my 2015 tax returns. Since we married 2015 I have to file as married but my issue is he doesn't live here yet but from forums I have read I have to do joint filing. For that I will need to get an ITIN number and it seems its gonna take a very long time to get it and that may be even closer or after our interview date. What would you advice me to do? I wanted to file by April 15th but that looks impossible and I may have to file an extension. Can I explain that predicament if they ask for my tax returns? I have tax returns from past years but its just this current year I am having a hard time with.
 

SusieQQQ

Well-Known Member
I will be current for June. I currently live in the US but will be doing CP in AF region since I included my new husband and we need to interview together. I am not sure if they will ask me for past tax returns but currently I am trying to file my 2015 tax returns. Since we married 2015 I have to file as married but my issue is he doesn't live here yet but from forums I have read I have to do joint filing. For that I will need to get an ITIN number and it seems its gonna take a very long time to get it and that may be even closer or after our interview date. What would you advice me to do? I wanted to file by April 15th but that looks impossible and I may have to file an extension. Can I explain that predicament if they ask for my tax returns? I have tax returns from past years but its just this current year I am having a hard time with.

Can't you just file as "married filing separate"? I haven't had this issue and I am no tax expert, but this seems to be what people use as an option when it's a hassle to file with a spouse who hasn't yet moved to the US. Then there is no need for ITIN etc, and your spouse is not obligated to file because he is not yet a LPR.
 
hello everybody!!!

finally got my second letter and interview has been scheduled. now i am trying to prepare my self for my luck hope/nope are both expensive already trained to accept the situation.
 

SusieQQQ

Well-Known Member
I will be current for June. I currently live in the US but will be doing CP in AF region since I included my new husband and we need to interview together. I am not sure if they will ask me for past tax returns but currently I am trying to file my 2015 tax returns. Since we married 2015 I have to file as married but my issue is he doesn't live here yet but from forums I have read I have to do joint filing. For that I will need to get an ITIN number and it seems its gonna take a very long time to get it and that may be even closer or after our interview date. What would you advice me to do? I wanted to file by April 15th but that looks impossible and I may have to file an extension. Can I explain that predicament if they ask for my tax returns? I have tax returns from past years but its just this current year I am having a hard time with.

Further to my first answer these may also help (turbotax support answers that seem
related )
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2...ling-separately-return-can-you-really-do-this

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3...use-who-doesn-t-have-a-social-security-number
 
Top