• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV-2015 changing DS-260 from AOS to CP

bobsy

Dear community,

I was blessed to be selected for DV-2015, although my cut-off number is not so low (EU00032XXX).
I completed my DS-260 the day of its availability (May 19th?), and originally asked for an interview at USCIS (Adjustment of Status) since I am physically in the US. However I wanted to change it to Consular Processing.

Since the DS-260 is locked, I sent an email to KCC to explain the change I would like to make, and they answered "we changed your interview from AOS to CP".
However, when I looked back on my DS-260 application, it still showed "USCIS" for the location of the interview.

So I emailed KCC again and asked to unlock the DS-260 so I can make changes. They unlocked it, however the interview location is still disabled, you cannot modify it. So I re-signed the DS-260 without making any changes and recontacted KCC to explain the situation.

They emailed me again saying "We have changed your location from AOS to CP", but the DS-260 still shows "USCIS" (Adjustment of Status).

Given my experience with USCIS (currently struggling with them for my H1B extension), I am being extremely cautious with whatever information they provide to me. When I asked be email if it was normal that "USCIS" was still showing on my DS-260, they never gave me a clear/direct answer aside from "we changed from AOS to CP".

Should I be worried about "USCIS" still showing on my DS-260, or should I just trust they made the change internally in their system?

Is anybody else in the same situation? (asked to change from AOS to CP)?

Many thanks for your help.

Dear community,

I was blessed to be selected for DV-2015, although my cut-off number is not so low (EU00032XXX).
I completed my DS-260 the day of its availability (May 19th?), and originally asked for an interview at USCIS (Adjustment of Status) since I am physically in the US. However I wanted to change it to Consular Processing.

Since the DS-260 is locked, I sent an email to KCC to explain the change I would like to make, and they answered "we changed your interview from AOS to CP".
However, when I looked back on my DS-260 application, it still showed "USCIS" for the location of the interview.

So I emailed KCC again and asked to unlock the DS-260 so I can make changes. They unlocked it, however the interview location is still disabled, you cannot modify it. So I re-signed the DS-260 without making any changes and recontacted KCC to explain the situation.

They emailed me again saying "We have changed your location from AOS to CP", but the DS-260 still shows "USCIS" (Adjustment of Status).

Given my experience with USCIS (currently struggling with them for my H1B extension), I am being extremely cautious with whatever information they provide to me. When I asked be email if it was normal that "USCIS" was still showing on my DS-260, they never gave me a clear/direct answer aside from "we changed from AOS to CP".

Should I be worried about "USCIS" still showing on my DS-260, or should I just trust they made the change internally in their system?

Is anybody else in the same situation? (asked to change from AOS to CP)?

Many thanks for your help.

Given that we are on day 2 of the year, I doubt you will find many who have decided to switch as you have. Also, this is the first year that the DS260 has been used.

On a gut reaction level I think you are right to be nervous that they will screw this up. Do what you can (i.e. make sure your form is updated with the correct address that would drive the consulate choice), but then also wait until your number is current. If they ignore you (because they still have you doing AoS) then you will have a small window of time immediately after the VB is released to get your interview setup for the current month - or at worst you will be one month delayed. SDince your number is relatively low that might mean switching from Jun to July.

By the way, why did you decide to switch to CP? Although CP is simpler, AoS does have some advantages...

Well here is the reason why I am avoiding AOS like the plague. I am actually on a green card process with my company, they sponsored me back in 2013. I have approved PERM, and I have approved I-140. Then I waited the regular processing time for my I-485 to be approved. When I contacted them after 4 months, they told me "it's normal you are not approved yet, you are EB3 and you are not current". When the reality is I am EB2 (I have the I-140 proof with the category on it). I thought this would be a quick and easy change from EB3 to EB2. But I have been through hell for the past 6 weeks to get this resolved, and I am not anywhere near a solution at this time.
That's why I am done with AOS, and cannot wait to receive my appointment notice from the embassy, since I doubt my current AOS problem will be resolved by then.

If anyone else also changed their DS-260 from AOS to CP, please post your experience here.

Thanks.

When you opened the unlocked DS260 did you try to change the location on the first (instruction) page?

If yes, here is what you can do:
1) unlock ds260
2) go through so you get to the review stage where you check your answers
3) look at the very last or second to last tab/step within the review process
4) you can change the location of the interview from there and only from there.

If you did not try that do so as this was the likely reason it did not work for you the first time.

Good luck!

Yes, that's what I did, I tried to change it on the first instruction page, and there was no way for me to make that change, it was disabled (read-only if you will) and I just couldn't make any changes from there.

So you recommend that I go ahead and email KCC again to unlock my DS-260? Are you sure about your procedure? I would hate to ask to unlock it again, see that I can't make the location change, and ask KCC to change my AOS to CP again (for the third time).
Have you tested this procedure yourself?

I'd like to take their word for it and trust that they really changed my AOS to CP (even though my DS-260 still shows USCIS for the location), but I have been so out of luck with USCIS and my current AOS with my employer that I am being overly suspicious - and paranoid I have to admit.

Let me know. And thanks a lot for your message.

Also the reason I am doubting your procedure is because I thought I had double checked, going through the "Review Stage" as well, trying to edit/change it, but I don't think that option was available with the unlocked DS-260.
I know that with a locked DS-260, you can view the location (that's where I see it currently set as DS-260). But I believe you don't see it the same way on an unlocked DS-260, I think the first instruction page is the only place you can view the location (without possibility of changing it).

So if you don't want to follow the suggestion above, I suggest you call KCC, tell them you couldn't change it but that despite their saying it was changed its still showing USCIS, and see what they say. This is the first year with DS260s, hardly anyone is going to be able to give you advice on this question ie for a rather rare occurrence, based on experience.

The first page is locked immediately after you proceed to the next page even before you submit your form the first time. It took me quite some time to figure out that I can change it from the review step. I was also about to do AOS but changed my mind to CP. I succeeded and one other person reported successfully changing it before they submitted the form. If you do not want to take thier word for it you do not have much of a choice but try that or what SusieQQQ suggested.

Good luck and please let us know if/how you resolved it.

Ok so just to be clear, when you filled the DS-260, on the first page you chose AOS. And as you say, once that first page is passed, it can not longer be modified. The only way to change it is through the Review tab. But in this instance, you had not submitted your form yet, am I correct? So in that case you did not have to go and ask KCC to unlock your DS-260, right?

Correct. The reason I suggested it is cause the whole point of unlocking the form is to change whatever you need. I understand your hesitance but if I were I would give it a try for the peace of mind it will give you.

Try asking someone here that is unlocking their form for whatever reason to check it for you if you wish...

If you look carefully at your signed DS-260, on the review tab, every section has a button: Edit/View. With the exception of Location and Preparer Information which are read-only fields that you cannot "Edit/View". That's why I believe I was not able to make that location change on my unlocked DS-260. I'm sure as long as the form is not submitted yet, you can still make that change.
If I ask the form to be unlocked, then realize once again the location is not changeable I will have to re-sign it (without making any modifications) and re-send an email to KCC asking them to confirm - again - that my location is to be set to Consular Processing, not USCIS (AOS). That would be the third time I ask them that.

Call me paranoid, but I fear they might get pissed off with all those requests and that it may cause problems to my application. I will call them and ask if I should be concerned about the location not being updated on my DS-260 despite the fact they confirmed by email it was changed. In any case, I'll just wait for my number to be current, and wait for the consulate to send me the interview date.

Does anyone know how much time it takes to get the appointment notification once your number is current?

Ok I just called KCC. They told me even though by email they say it's taken care of, it will not be reflected on the DS-260, but she does see my record in their internal file as Consular Processing.
That's good enough for me. I may contact them again once my number becomes current.

In the event someone among you unlocked their DS-260 and successfully changed their location from USCIS to Consular Processing, please let people on this thread know.

Once the bulletin is published showing your number, it shouldn't take more than a week for you to get the interview notification.

Also the reason I am doubting your procedure is because I thought I had double checked, going through the "Review Stage" as well, trying to edit/change it, but I don't think that option was available with the unlocked DS-260.
I know that with a locked DS-260, you can view the location (that's where I see it currently set as DS-260). But I believe you don't see it the same way on an unlocked DS-260, I think the first instruction page is the only place you can view the location (without possibility of changing it).
I just opened the ds260 for the first time, and it asks to provide location, I provided the location. After that, the location is in read-only mode on the "Getting Started" page. However, as was said here, it gives you the option to change it in review mode. I did not click to continue in the review mode though. But it definitely allows you to tick those options - "new location" or the one for AOS.

Hi everyone,

I understand this is an old thread, but I am currently considering making the same change from AOS to CP as a DV 2016 selectee. I wonder if anyone was able to confirm how to make the change on DS-260?

Bobsy, did KCC schedule you an interview when you became current, or did you have to remind them again? I do hope everything worked out for you! Thank you for sharing your experience.

Hi everyone,

I understand this is an old thread, but I am currently considering making the same change from AOS to CP as a DV 2016 selectee. I wonder if anyone was able to confirm how to make the change on DS-260?

Bobsy, did KCC schedule you an interview when you became current, or did you have to remind them again? I do hope everything worked out for you! Thank you for sharing your experience.

I suppose the first question is "why?". AoS has some advantages over CP, it is safe, and AoS processing tends to be faster toward the end of the year when the impending program end date is a good way to push the FOs to get on with it. Of people that properly prepare, I don't think we have seen any cases over the last few years that failed for the lack of time or for the lack of a visa slot. So - if those sorts of concerns is what is making you think of switching, you should probably talk about that first.

But if there is some other reason, the method to switch is fairly simple.

KCC perform background checks on DS260s for CP cases. They don't do those checks for AoS cases (since you have already been approved to be in the country). So - if you submitted your DS260 for AoS in the beginning, switching to CP means you need to have those background checks. In the beginning of the year, processing backlogs meant DS260s were taking 3 to 4 months to process. Those backlogs are over for DV2016, so DS260s starting processing now will be completed in around 4 weeks.

So - switchiong to CP involes unlocking your DS260 - adding an "current address" (anticipated address is ok) in the country where you want the interview (home country typically) and resubmitting the form. After you have done that it is important to then email KCC and make sure they know you have switched to CP and tell them the embassy you chose.

You don't tell them to schedule you - they will do that - IF you have done what I just explained.

Hi Simon, thank you so much for your reply - we've learned so much from you and are so indebted. Thank you.

We are still weighing the pros and cons for AOS v. CP for our case, and would really appreciate your advice.

Our Case Number is AS 68XX (expected to go current in May or June). I and my wife are currently in the US on F-1/2 visas (switching to OPT from May), and have been preparing for AOS (just paid the DV admin fee and completed medical exams this week). Our main concern is, as you say, the speed of processing in the New York FO... We've been following the status updates very closely and are becoming paranoid to learn that people who became current in October 2015 have not had their interviews yet as of February 2016. We also heard about a person who did not receive an interview by September 30 of that year, who also ended up losing the pre-existing F-1 visa due to the immigration intent issue.

Our CP option would be in our home country Japan, where processing seems to be so much faster, that even with the added processing time for background checks and re-doing the medical exam in Japan, it may still make sense to switch. Our concern for the CP, however, is that if we are denied GC for whatever reason, we may not be able to re-enter the US on our F-1/2/OPT visa or any visa at all (even tourist?).

You mentioned that "the impending program end date is a good way to push the FOs to get on with it" - is this something we can email/call the FO about, if September approaches?