• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV-2003 winner and K-1 Visa

MaryEla

Hi!
I came to USA-TX in January 2003 based on K-1 (fiancee visa). I got marry within 90 days and applied for I-485 K-1 based and for EAD.

I am also a lotery winner (DV-2003) and my case number was scheduled for an interview on May, 13th in order to get a visa number. The interview was scheduled at the USA embassy in my native country.

Is it possible to apply again for I-485 but based on DV-2003?
I tried to call BCIS on toll free number and a lady told me that is not possible to apply twice for I-485. Is it true?

Thank you in advance for your help
Mary

What is your DV case number? Depending on your case number you can submit a I-485. Is it AS or AF? please give the complete case number with all the zeros.

Originally posted by MaryEla
My case number is 2003EU00027957.
Is not AS or AF, is EU = Europe.
I just checked the visa bulletin. Your case number is current. Call the KCC immediately and explain your situation. Since your interview was scheduled in your county, the KCC probably has already send your file to your embassy. They need to get it back to US for AOS)I-485) for you ASAP. If you act fast, you will be able to get stamped on your passport soon. Do you have the KCC phone number? It is at teh bottom of the winning letter you got. they are very helpful.
Please note that I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. I am suggesting the best path based on my experience.
Let me know if I can help you in any way.

Pwdg, thank you for your help. I didn't know is possible to check the situation of the case number. Is there over the Internet a site where you can check the case number?

After I was announced about scheduling an interview for my case I wrote back to KCC explaining my situation and this is what they wrote back to me:

"You will have to contact BCIS and request an interview on your case, as the visa number is available for scheduling; we have attached a copy of the adjustment status instructions for your use. If we can be of further assistance please contact us back.

If you are in the United States, you may be eligible to apply to the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) for adjustment of status. Please note that the laws regarding adjustment of status have recently changed. The option to adjust status may no longer be available to all applicants. To determine whether or not you may adjust status you MUST contact the INS. Once the INS confirms your eligibility to adjust status they will provide you with the additional information that you need. When contacting your local INS office they may inform you that will not be eligible to file your adjustment until the beginning of the fiscal year, which will be October 1, 2002. You should also inquiry with them as to if they can have your adjustment completed before the ending of the fiscal year (September 30, 2003). Failure to complete the adjustment before the end of the fiscal year may result in the loss of the diversity visa. "

In the meantime I had to apply for AOS K-1 based because the 3 months that I had to do my papers were already over.
So, in this moment I am confused because I don't know exactly what's the next step regarding the lotery.
Getting a new visa number means to get an interview and pass the interview with succes.
Do I need the new visa number in order to apply again for AOS lotery based?
Beside that, after calling BCIS and telling me that is not possible to apply twice for AOS made confusion even bigger.

BCIS suggested to go back to my native country, pass the interview and come back here as a lotery winner. This is suggestion is out of being considered.
There is NO WAY to leave my husband, give up on all the papers we began to solve, not to mention that is possible not to pass the interview with succes.

The only reason I want to use the lotery is that in my opinion will help me to solve quicker and with less headaches my permanent residence.

Originally posted by MaryEla
Pwdg, thank you for your help. I didn't know is possible to check the situation of the case number. Is there over the Internet a site where you can check the case number?

There is no place to check the status of the case number. I went to the state dept visa bulletin to find out about the availability of your visa number.

The only reason I want to use the lotery is that in my opinion will help me to solve quicker and with less headaches my permanent residence.

If getting the green card faster is very important to you, you can request and advance parole on your present case and go to your country and face the interview. If everything fails you still have your advance parole to come back. Hope this will help.

Visa Bulletin

Hi pwdg,

How do you find the visa bulletin and access the current numbers? Thanks.

Question

Hi again pwdg,

I just got the DV2004 lottery, AS00013XXX. Is this considered low number? or high? Good chance?
I am currently on H1B and LCA in process. Thanks.

Re: Question

Originally posted by mesra
Hi again pwdg,

I just got the DV2004 lottery, AS00013XXX. Is this considered low number? or high? Good chance?
I am currently on H1B and LCA in process. Thanks.

You will probably get an interview date in february 2004. Your number is not that high. I am very happy for you. Good luck.

Hi

Hi pwdg,

Thanks for the info and good luck. After the interview, I assume I will get the "A" number if I passed, right? Then, how long will it take for the Adjustment of Status to go thru? Any clue? Thx again.

Re: Hi

Originally posted by mesra
Hi pwdg,

Thanks for the info and good luck. After the interview, I assume I will get the "A" number if I passed, right? Then, how long will it take for the Adjustment of Status to go thru? Any clue? Thx again.

I am sorry I do not know anything what happen after you submit forms. Someone else can help you. Any one who can advice mesra's questions?