DUREX TO SIGN DIVORCE PAPER AFTER FILING FORM N400

Frank0111

I have been married to US citizen for the past 8 years. Been a permanent resident since 2012. My wife moved out of the house since 2015 till now. I guess you will call that we are separated. Two weeks ago I just filed my N400 for citizenship and she is asking me to sign a paper for divorce. Do you think it will affect my already submitted application for citizenship. I have been permanent resident for 7 years. We live separately no children in our marriage. Pls kindly help. Should I sign the divorce paper or try to delay the signing.

If you’re applying under the 5 year rule, as I assume you are, it shouldn’t be an issue.

A marriage-based green card is subject to review by the IO at their discretion at n400 interview, especially if that marriage ends in a divorce while immigration benefits are being adjudicated. This appears to be more common with the current USCIS.

W
A marriage-based green card is subject to review by the IO at their discretion at n400 interview, especially if that marriage ends in a divorce while immigration benefits are being adjudicated. This appears to be more common with the current USCIS.
So what do u suggest?

As long as you can show it was a bona fide marriage, which presumably it was already adjudged thus during ROC, I doubt it will be an issue, especially as you waited this long to apply. Just be prepared to answer what they ask.
You’re not living “in marital union” anyway so imo whether or not you’re legally divorced is not that relevant.

As long as you can show it was a bona fide marriage, which presumably it was already adjudged thus during ROC, I doubt it will be an issue, especially as you waited this long to apply. Just be prepared to answer what they ask.
You’re not living “in marital union” anyway so imo whether or not you’re legally divorced is not that relevant.
Thank you so much. So if I get a divorce before my final should I have to send them a copy of the divorce copy

Thank you so much. So if I get a divorce before my final should I have to send them a copy of the divorce copy
I think you just take it to interview. They will ask at the interview if anything has changed since the form was submitted.

Signing or delaying signing is immaterial so go ahead and sign it. The only question for you is was the marriage bonafide at inception and do you have ample evidence to demonstrate that. If yes no worries for your citizenship application. If no, get an attorney because naturalization is the typical last state for immigration to scrutinize your history. You don’t need to answer here on a public forum.