Dumb questions about the Plastic Card !!

puneet_gcard

Registered Users (C)
Hi Folks. A couple of really dumb questions:

1) I just got the Plastic card 2 days ago. Is it ok to make a photocopy of it. It seems like it can be swiped same way like a credit card. So I am a bit concerned if during making a photocopy the magnetic waves may cause some damage to its swiping ribbon.

2) Secondly where do people normally keep the plastic card. Do you always carry it in your wallet or do you just carry a photocopy of it.

Your answers will be deeply appreciated.

Regards to all....
Puneet

You can make a copy and copying won't physically damage the GC.
Down the road, there are many occastions you have to xerox it
(I-9, appliying for visa to other countries etc)

After you make copies, write "this is only a photocopy of the
original green card" on yoru copies to avoid forgery charges.

As where to keep it. This has been a hot debate and it often
lead to flame wars. But see the following poll to get ideal what people
do

http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=147452

puneet_gcard,

did u have to call NSC or do anything special for getting the card.

Just checking because I had my stamping done in last week of Nov,2004 and I never bothered to check with NSC after 60 days because I knew I would get the standard backlog message.

Appreciate your response.

Thanks
Parshu

puneet_gcard said:
Hi Folks. A couple of really dumb questions:

1) I just got the Plastic card 2 days ago. Is it ok to make a photocopy of it. It seems like it can be swiped same way like a credit card. So I am a bit concerned if during making a photocopy the magnetic waves may cause some damage to its swiping ribbon.

2) Secondly where do people normally keep the plastic card. Do you always carry it in your wallet or do you just carry a photocopy of it.

Your answers will be deeply appreciated.

Regards to all....
Puneet

Does taking a photocopy of the credit card damages it..??? I dont think so.
Well...anyway, i'd taken photocopy of my GC , laminated it and carrying the same in my wallet.
I dont carry the original GC, though i think i am supposed to carry it by law.

parshu said:
puneet_gcard,

did u have to call NSC or do anything special for getting the card.

Just checking because I had my stamping done in last week of Nov,2004 and I never bothered to check with NSC after 60 days because I knew I would get the standard backlog message.

Appreciate your response.

Thanks
Parshu

Hi Parshu. I was also too lazy to check status. However I remember following up once when both my wife and myself had called the USCIS officer to check the statuis of Plastic Card. Dont know if it helped or not.

Secondly my wife still has not received her plastic card. The emails that I got were also just for my LIN No. Dont know how the USCIS works. This is the first time like this. Previously we always got the EAD cards, FP notices, Approval Notices together. Have other people also gone thru the same headache ????

Thanks for all your replies. I will go ahead and make the photocopy of both the sides....

Sorry about the dumb question again..........................

puneet_gcard said:
Thanks for all your replies. I will go ahead and make the photocopy of both the sides....

Sorry about the dumb question again..........................

1. how many times when you were walking down a street and someone in US asked you about your identity or status?

2. Has anyone in day to day life (except for job and appointment with USCIS, bank) questioned to prove your status?

3. Has any police officer asked you about your status if you were stopped for any traffic violations?

4. Travling on any domestic flight which ID was asked?

Hope now you can make judgement on your own that you want to keep GC with you all the times or when needed

itec said:
1. how many times when you were walking down a street and someone in US asked you about your identity or status?

2. Has anyone in day to day life (except for job and appointment with USCIS, bank) questioned to prove your status?

3. Has any police officer asked you about your status if you were stopped for any traffic violations?

4. Travling on any domestic flight which ID was asked?

Hope now you can make judgement on your own that you want to keep GC with you all the times or when needed

But you should also ask yourself :"How many times have I lost my wallet
in the past 5 years? "

http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=147702