DUI to Reckless for Citizenship apply in VA

momo1124

Hello,

I am trying to help my friend here. She has lived in the US about 10 years and got her green card about 4 years ago through her husband to file together.
She was going to apply her green card next year and she recently got arrested few months ago by DUI because someone followed her after she git home and called the police. She didn't know her right she didnt have to anwser the police and she did everything the police asked for and that got her arrested. The court reduced her charge to reckless driving with 3 years probation. She currently lives in Richmond VA.

Here are my questions.

- Does she have to wait on her probation period before she applies her citizenship? (When she should apply it?)
- Should she file a motion to court to reduce probation period to 1 year?(Her traffic lawyer would do with $500 but not sure the result)
- Is her application going to be denied most likely?
- Any advices on citizenship apply for her?

She doesn't know what to do so I will appreiciate if anyone can help on these questions!
Thank you.

Last edited:
Hello,
- Does she have to wait on her probation period before she applies her citizenship? (When she should apply it?)
Yes

- Should she file a motion to court to reduce probation period to 1 year?(Her traffic lawyer would do with $500 but not sure the result)
Yes - I'm not sure about VA, but if they allow her to get 2/3's of her probation reduced, go for it, typically though I've only seen the ability to get it reduced by half (here in CA)

- Is her application going to be denied most likely?
No, most likely she will get it approved (I did and many others), in fact, people "will say" they heard this person or that person was denied, but they always fail to show proof or cite the example of someone being denied. Unless there are "other" extenuating issues, i.e. prior arrests, high BAC, felony DUI - physical injury etc., it's not an issue because it's NOT a crime of moral terpitude.

- Any advices on citizenship apply for her?
Get her probation reduced, get official court and police records of her arrest and conviction and the court record showing her probation is completed, apply.

She doesn't know what to do so I will appreiciate if anyone can help on these questions!
Thank you.

Last edited: