DUI dismissed case

am_ver

Registered Users (C)
I got charged with a DUI about 7 years ago - however the case got dismissed because the reason for stopping me was invalid. The case got dropped.

a) Do you feel that I should hire a lawyer

b) Do I need to get anything to prove that the case got dismissed (doubt if I have any such thing since it has been 7 years - can I get that from court?)

c) My 5 years of GC time would be on May 23rd, 2007 - Can I send in the application now?

a) I'm not sure about a lawyer, it certainly wouldn't hurt. Most lawyers will give you a "consultation" for a nominal fee - you might get a good answer during that consultation. Your answers on the N-400 should be "arrested = yes", "convicted = no" (assuming no other run-ins with the law). In the end, I cannot imagine this getting in your way - what the lawyer can do is make it so that you say the right things, provide the right documentation, etc.

b) Do whatever you can to get something from the court. Since you were arrested and the case was concluded (with your dismissal) there is a record somewhere

c) Check the Guide to Naturalization (from the uscis web site). Everything is very clear. In general, you eligible for citizenship after 5 years as a permanent resident (from the date on your GC). You can file up to 90 days (not 3 months, 90 days) earlier than that. Excel tell me that you should file some time after the 22nd of Feb. Take the time to find out the answers to your DUI question