DUI and N-400 Questions

Hey, I found this topic searching for the same thing as OP. I was convicted of a DUI 4 years ago in NJ and had license suspended for 7 months.
DUI in NJ is not a criminal offense, but a traffic violation. Are you sure I should answer YES to all of the following:

Have you ever been charged with committing any crime or offense?
Have you ever been convicted of a crime or offense?
Have you ever received a suspended sentence, been placed on probation, or been paroled?

Should I explain that it's a traffic violation in NJ or just assume they know?

Also, what is "CIMT"? And what do you mean by "statutory period"?

Never thought that incident would cause a concern come time for citizenship.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
DUI in NJ is not a criminal offense, but a traffic violation. Are you sure I should answer YES to all of the following:
Thanks!

DUI/DWI is a criminal offence in all 50 States. Don't waste any time on this anymore.

You should answer Yes for all the three questions.

CIMT is something like Crime of Moral Turpitude. Which means you are delibrately/knowingly commiting a crime. First time DUI may not qualifiy as a CIMT, unless you were too drunk when driving. Providing more info like BAC %, Jail Time, Fine paid etc could help to answer your questions better. Also was there an accident or added reckless driving ticket?

Best suggestion for you. Wait another year, which is 5 years from the date of the crime and then apply.