Dual citizenship

wantmygcnow

Volunteer Moderator
Before I was a citizen...I used to hear stories of how when you become a citizen, the "INS" at that time would automatically notify your original country of nationality that you are a u.s citizen now and renounce your original nationality.

Well I guess it's not true...so how do I make sure I am not a dual citizen ? Don't you renounce your original citizenship when you take USC oath? Or do we have to go to the embassy & hand in the previous passport??

Before I was a citizen...I used to hear stories of how when you become a citizen, the "INS" at that time would automatically notify your original country of nationality that you are a u.s citizen now and renounce your original nationality.

Don't know if it was true or not but someone say in the past the INS required applicants to submit old passport at oath ceremony and they forwarded those passport to countries who originally issued them

so how do I make sure I am not a dual citizen ? Don't you renounce your original citizenship when you take USC oath? Or do we have to go to the embassy & hand in the previous passport??

Check out the citizenship law of your original country. It is different from one country to another. Some country like UK refuse to acknowledge renounciation unless that is done in front ot some UK governement officials. Some other countries stipute their citizens automaticaly lose citizenship if they are naturalized in a foreign country.

Now USCIS is not asking the applicants to surrender their passport of country of origin at the time of oath ceremony. Reason for this
could be the fact that USCIS alllow dual citizenship. I feel it is our responsibility to renounce the citizenship of the other country if they
are not entertaining dual citizenship.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PS: I am neither an attorney nor legal advisor. My cooments are based on my own observation and/or experience. Hence my comments
can be used at your own risk.

before i was a citizen...i used to hear stories of how when you become a citizen, the "ins" at that time would automatically notify your original country of nationality that you are a u.s citizen now and renounce your original nationality.

Well i guess it's not true...so how do i make sure i am not a dual citizen ? Don't you renounce your original citizenship when you take usc oath? Or do we have to go to the embassy & hand in the previous passport??

hi want

why do you want to renounce your country citizenship?

Hi Want,

How to apply for security clearrance? Can we apply on our own or employer needs to sponsor?

wantmygcnow, consult with your original country's consulate. If you are not an Indian, chances are that you are a dual citizen right now. Many countries do not care if you informally renounce their citizenship in a US district court because the US government does not have a jurisdiction over foreign citizenships.

I think this varies from country to country - I have permission from the German government to retain my original citizenship when becoming a USC (had to be applied for and approved in advance of applying for USC) so dual citizenship for me is legal and pre-arranged. Neither Germany nor the US promote this but it is legal on both sides.
For US security clearances, I have heard about the option to temporarily deposit my German PP at the German embassy to avoid issues with the clearance process. With that you would not have two valid passports at the same time. The PP is property of Germany so no other government has the right to take it indefinitely or invalidate it anyway. Once security clearance has been granted I can retrieve my German passport. Sounds kinda strange but that appears to be the required practice that others have successfully applied.
I need to check into the details as getting acccess to jobs requiring security clearance was one of the drivers for me to pursue USC in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator:
This does sound strange to me. By handing your German passport to your embassy/consulate, you still remain a German citizen. All it does is take the ability away from you to use your German passport. Anyway, as long as it gets you the required clearance.

Once security clearance has been granted I can retrieve my German passport. Sounds kinda strange but that appears to be the required practice that others have successfully applied.

This does sound strange to me. By handing your German passport to your embassy/consulate, you still remain a German citizen. All it does is take the ability away from you to use your German passport. Anyway, as long as it gets you the required clearance.

I believe part of teh reason is Germany is a close ally of USC. One may not be able to do the same thing if the otehr country
is hostitile to USA

Today, there was a career fair at our universities, and I was told by Navy, Air Force and Army recruiters that in order to work for them as a civilian engineer, one should be US citizen only. No dual citizenship is allowed. I honestly do not think they would allow to temporarily deposit a passport and be hired where it says "no dual citizenship".

Konig, thats true. Dual citizenship is a big no-no for any jobs with the govt. ALso i am going for only a secret clearance and I was told by my security officer to send in a notarized letter to my previous country's embassy that I have given up that nationality..I plan on just doing that..20k depend on it ;)

I was told by my security officer to send in a notarized letter to my previous country's embassy that I have given up that nationality..I plan on just doing that..20k depend on it ;)
So, your security officer is not concerned whether your original country of citizenship really accepts your "renunciation" or not? If I send this notarised letter to my native country's consulate, they will just put it in the trash and will consider me their citizen anyway until I formally renounce it according to that country's laws. The military people told me today that they need an official letter from the consulate stating that I am no longer its citizen.

Well i am totally against dual citizenship,how one can take the rights of two diff rent countries while others only for single country.moreover one can do crime and take shelter into another country.......